3wk old dieing quail. Helep!

newspaper will work for the time being, regular ol' toilet tissue, paper towels, cloth hand towels all work fine(less dust the better). not sure of the feed your talking about, but just check the tag, you want to somehow pump it up to 24%, this isn't as much of an issue RIGHT now as getting rid of the kitty litter. Honestly i don't know how they will turn out as i have read there is some bad stuff in there for animals, especially baby quails.

growth seems fine for your adults and chicks, i think its the kitty litter. also i wouldn't put any aquarium rocks in there as they might eat them as well(i put oyster shell grit in my sandboxes and they eat it up like candy).

there are natural medications, they MIGHT be in need of it due to the litter, they could be poisoned. maybe something with the nerve system if they can't control their movement to well.

Honestly, you probably have done all you can, just keep them on safe, dust, chemical free bedding, fresh water and food(you can switch to something a little bigger as well, they shouldn't be small enough to drown in ......)

just keep them safe, handleing is ok, help them eat and drink then just leave them, if they make it, they make it, mother nature has control now.

oh yea, the beetles, yea you can feed them that, they eat it in the wild anyway. If they start to slow on eating, you can try mashing up some hard boiled eggs(my quails LOVE that stuff and will eat it any chance they get, regardless of health) or any leafy green, the excitment will probably make them eat.

Wow and double wow - you people are good! It deffinately is the cat litter. Thanks for the links Mobitsu. I only read the first one, I have to admit, but that said it all. I feel sooooo... stupid for not looking into it
sad.png
sad.png

They have started gasping for breath.
sad.png
sad.png

Call me weak but I have not the heart to put them down. I am just giving them water (fresh) to drink and holding them upright.

They are so weak and slowly dieing.
I just hope people read this who are like me using (used to now) the Clay Cumping Cat Litter or are considering it and decide after reading this change their mind.

I have got two little helpless creatures gasping for breath in my hand. They died while I wrote this.
Thanks you wonderful people for helping me understand what I did wrong so my next quail babies do not die of the same thing.
I will let you know how the the health of the next lot are in three weeks so to further confirm the cat littre theory on this thread.
I will be using butchers paper left from our last move in the brooder.

Blessings to all of you that read this.

Hi JJMR494,

Thanks for making me aware of such a thing. I have looked into it. All of my quail are healthy and laying really well. The newest was added 2 months ago and very healthy. It is also a rule in my house that hands are washed before touching the babies. All new things were used in the brooder (fishtank).
In saying this, there is always a possibility it could be anything but for now I will stick to cat litter theory.
Thanks for your reply though. You taught me something I wasn't aware of.

Quote:
Wow JJ! "Newcastles Disease" Really?

I doubt that!

REALLY JOE? I MEAN YOU KNOW ME QUITE WELL.... HAVE I EVER YANKED ANYONE'S CHAIN ON AN ILLNESS?
hmm.png

NEWCASTLES DISEASE:

Nervous signs of tremors, paralyzed wings and legs, twisted necks, circling, clonic spasms, and complete paralysis may accompany, but usually follow, the respiratory signs in neurotropic velogenic disease. Nervous signs with diarrhea are typical in pigeons, and nervous signs are frequently seen in cormorants and exotic bird species. Respiratory signs with depression, watery-greenish diarrhea, and swelling of the tissues of the head and neck are typical of the most virulent form of the disease, viscerotropic velogenic Newcastle disease (VVND, also called exotic Newcastle disease), although nervous signs may also be seen. Varying degrees of depression and inappetence are observed. A partial or complete cessation of egg production may occur. Eggs may be abnormal in color, shape, or surface, and have watery albumen. Mortality is variable but can be as high as 100%.

IT IS ALSO PREVALENT IN AUSTRAILIA (CANABERRA WASNT IT HELEN?), AND COTS ARE KNOWN TO BE CARRIERS FOR IT AND PASS IT ON TO OTHER POULTRY.... ITS THERE ONLY WAY OF STRIKING BACK IN THE BIOLOGICAL WAR...

Last edited:
it would fit, but wasn't the case back in the 40's?, i guess it could be latent.

either way, i wouldn't keep birds on kitty litter to begin with. It very well could be newcastle disease as well.

Quote:
Wow JJ! "Newcastles Disease" Really?

I doubt that!

REALLY JOE? I MEAN YOU KNOW ME QUITE WELL.... HAVE I EVER YANKED ANYONE'S CHAIN ON AN ILLNESS?
hmm.png

NEWCASTLES DISEASE:

Nervous signs of tremors, paralyzed wings and legs, twisted necks, circling, clonic spasms, and complete paralysis may accompany, but usually follow, the respiratory signs in neurotropic velogenic disease. Nervous signs with diarrhea are typical in pigeons, and nervous signs are frequently seen in cormorants and exotic bird species. Respiratory signs with depression, watery-greenish diarrhea, and swelling of the tissues of the head and neck are typical of the most virulent form of the disease, viscerotropic velogenic Newcastle disease (VVND, also called exotic Newcastle disease), although nervous signs may also be seen. Varying degrees of depression and inappetence are observed. A partial or complete cessation of egg production may occur. Eggs may be abnormal in color, shape, or surface, and have watery albumen. Mortality is variable but can be as high as 100%.

IT IS ALSO PREVALENT IN AUSTRAILIA (CANABERRA WASNT IT HELEN?), AND COTS ARE KNOWN TO BE CARRIERS FOR IT AND PASS IT ON TO OTHER POULTRY.... ITS THERE ONLY WAY OF STRIKING BACK IN THE BIOLOGICAL WAR...

Yes, you have a good point there my friend. I tend to forget that people raise birds in many conditions I think of as bio-hazard. I tend to focus on the physiological, rather than biological, because (KNOCK ON WOOD), I have managed not to get some kind of (Andromeda Strain) that wipes out my entire flock.

I tend to agree with you now. Also agree with Mibotsu....86 the clumping cat litter
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom