4 1/2 Week Old RIR - Hen or Roo?

MusiGal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 1, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
Hi everyone!
big_smile.png

I'm new to this site and 4 weeks ago, I acquired six 3-day old chicks. 2 RIRs, 2 Barred Rocks & 2 Auracaunas. Sadly, one of the Auracaunas died 2 days later. Last weekend, I acquired 2 more 4-week old chicks, 1 Buff Orpington and 1 Golden Lace Polish. I am enjoying every minute of having chickens. When we first got them, I had to play nursemaid to one of the RIRs and the surviving Auracauna as they had pasty butts, but that only lasted about 2-3 days. The RIR doesn't seem to have forgiven me, however.
hit.gif
I started calling "her" Big Red or just Red and she seemed to be developing slower than the other RIR. Still doesn't have much as far as tail feathers are concerned, but "she" sure has a comb and wattles growing. I'm a little afraid that she may be a he. I'm going to post some photos and hopefully there will be enough detail for someone more knowledgable than I to tell. My husband thinks I'm worrying over nothing that she's just slowly developing in some areas and developing faster in others. In other words, she's an individual. It's been great weather here in Chesapeake the last several days, so we've been able to take them outside for a few hours each day...they LOVE it! Looking forward to when I can leave them out there and that becomes their permanent home. Anyway, here are the photos...can someone help? THANKS!!!

This is Big Red. If she turns out to be a he, I shouldn't have to change his name!

This is her back end. Her "sister", Cinnamon, is also in the photo.

Pecking at some concrete.

Good shot of comb and wattles...I think
tongue.png

Thanks in advance everyone!

That looks like a little cockerel to me. Combination of huge feet and legs, developing comb and wattles, and slow feathering makes me think so.

Thanks, RockerHen & CaFarmGirl. That is what I'm thinking, too. I think I'll keep him a few more weeks just to be sure, but then I'll have to find a new home for him...which breaks my heart. I'm just not ready to be a breeder, though. I guess I'll try to find another RIR Hen around the same age.

Back
Top Bottom