4.5 week old chicks move outside?

Taysan10

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2023
Move outside?

My 12 chicks are 4.5 weeks old. Mostly feathered except their heads. I’m thinking of moving them to the coop because they have outgrown every brooder I set up for them and the flies are getting really bad in our garage. I would need to run a drop cord for their heat plate, is that safe/okay? Their coop is set up for them with roosting bars, automatic door, etc. Flooring is sand with barn lime and topped with pine shavings. The lows for the next 4 days is upper 30s to low 40s, then the low is mid 50s after that and that should be it for our cold snap in eastern NC. Thoughts?

What temp has been the lowest they have been exposed to so far?

Brooding in the (I assume unheated) garage using a brooder plate they should be ok in the coop in my opinion.

Are they even still using the plate? If they are spending the majority of time out from under it again I think they will be fine.

You can always sneak out to check on them shortly after dark and see if they seem distressed. If they are you can move them back to the garage at night but I would put them in the coop during the day.

What temp has been the lowest they have been exposed to so far?

Brooding in the (I assume unheated) garage using a brooder plate they should be ok in the coop in my opinion.

Are they even still using the plate? If they are spending the majority of time out from under it again I think they will be fine.

You can always sneak out to check on them shortly after dark and see if they seem distressed. If they are you can move them back to the garage at night but I would put them in the coop during the day.
No they don’t use it during the day. Not much at night either. They have been outside all day this week. The lowest has got in the mid 40s in the unheated garage.

Sounds like they are self weaning off the heat. I think they will be just fine moving out.
This is the temperatures for the next week. They will be 5 weeks on Sunday.

Attachments

• E1FEC440-BF31-4AF7-8950-73F2A3FDDA20.jpeg
    E1FEC440-BF31-4AF7-8950-73F2A3FDDA20.jpeg
    899 KB · Views: 19
The only day giving me pause is your Saturday high is still kind of low.

I would still make the move but be ready in case they need to come back to the garage for a day.
Gotta love that Easter cold snap! If I move them out do I need to put their heat plate out there? It says to make sure temp is 50 or above for use so not sure it would do much anyways. They have most of their feathers, just missing the head feathers

I believe that recommended 50 or above is to ensure it provides adequate warmth for very young chicks. At lower ambient temps it may not be able to get warm enough....or it's to avoid overheating and failing or fire.

I would go without the plate myself.

They make "chick piles" at that age so would help keep each other warm.

My own chicks are 3 weeks, 4 weeks and 5 weeks old now. I am brooding in my coop and it's been cold enough the brooder water froze TWICE. Everyone used the heat source so were fine even though it was just 12° when they were 3 days old to 2 weeks old. They had to leave the heat to eat and drink.

They are a lot tougher than they get credit for.

I believe that recommended 50 or above is to ensure it provides adequate warmth for very young chicks. At lower ambient temps it may not be able to get warm enough....or it's to avoid overheating and failing or fire.

I would go without the plate myself.

They make "chick piles" at that age so would help keep each other warm.

My own chicks are 3 weeks, 4 weeks and 5 weeks old now. I am brooding in my coop and it's been cold enough the brooder water froze TWICE. Everyone used the heat source so were fine even though it was just 12° when they were 3 days old to 2 weeks old. They had to leave the heat to eat and drink.

They are a lot tougher than they get credit for.
Do I need to section a space for them in the coop or is the whole thing okay? Sorry for so many questions.. these are my first chicks!

That depends on how big the coop is.

Is there anything like nest boxes they could get stuck behind or under?

If the coop is huge like my 8x14 then yes I would section it off. If it's an 8x8 or smaller I would let them have the whole thing.....barring any trap hazards.

Back
Top Bottom