4.5 week old chicks move outside?

That depends on how big the coop is.

Is there anything like nest boxes they could get stuck behind or under?

If the coop is huge like my 8x14 then yes I would section it off. If it's an 8x8 or smaller I would let them have the whole thing.....barring any trap hazards.
It’s 8x8 exactly. The nesting boxes are secured to the wall 🙂

Mine loved the huddle box at that age. Used that (no heat) for a couple of weeks out in the coop and after that they abandoned it. That should be enough.
I will try that! The only thing worrying me is the 39 degree night. But they will be right at 5 weeks on that day. Did you have to show them the box before night time or they just found it? My chicks already enjoy roosting at night so I’m not even sure they would use it- but would like to have something for the last chilly night

I will try that! The only thing worrying me is the 39 degree night. But they will be right at 5 weeks on that day. Did you have to show them the box before night time or they just found it? My chicks already enjoy roosting at night so I’m not even sure they would use it- but would like to have something for the last chilly night
If they are already roosting at night, then that's a good sign that they don't need any heat at that point. If they did, they'd huddle on the ground. If they were with a broody, on a roost, at size 5 weeks old, there's no way they'd fit under her. They'd be spread out along the roost. So I think they'll be fine. For mine, I converted their heater plate into a huddle box. It was a DIY one anyway, a wooden board on legs. So I just covered 3 of the sides to turn it into a box. They were already used to it, so they continued going under it out of habit for a while even after I turned the heat off. As soon as they figured out how to roost though, they lost interest in the huddle box. Those particular chickens grew up without a mom and without older hens to show them the ropes though. So they took longer to learn how to roost at night. When I let a broody raise chicks, she has them up on the roost at just 1-2 weeks old! The roost being linear and all that, they aren't fully covered by her the way they would be on the ground, but they do fine. At 5 weeks yours will definitely be fine.

Last edited:
After reading this and many other threads and of course agonizing over when and watching the weather, I decided that yesterday was going to be the day the big girls would go out. They turned 5 weeks Tuesday and were definitely out growing their brooder. (I have 7 silver laced Cochin’s in another brooder , who turned one week on Monday.) I also have 2 12 year old light Brahmas still living from my original flock. They were booted out to the run so that I could strip the bedding and scrub everything down with vinegar and water. The coop itself is 10 x 12 with a front section 6 x 12. I set the front section up for my two old ladies. And about 12 o’clock yesterday the babies were moved outside. I did my final check at 10 o’clock last evening when I normally go out to give the horses hay check their water and turn off the lights. As was suggested in this thread, I set up actually three boxes for huddle boxes. One was an old dog house, and then two boxes in various locations I had watch them huddle in during the day. I also noticed my one and only Polish preferred being off the floor, and by herself. As I expected I didn’t get any sleep, but force myself not to go back out and check on them until this morning which at first late I did. Waking up all the horses in the process. Yesterday got to about 78° here in eastern Connecticut so I was able to have windows open that allowed the coop to get to 75° and then close them all at 4 o’clock to keep the heat in and this morning it was still 60° in the coop, despite being 47° outside. After doing a headcount I sat on the floor to cuddle them all and tell them how proud I was of my big girls. I had to pull myself away when my horses were creating such a ruckus in the barn. I guess they figured if I was going to wake them up at this ungodly hour, I better be prepared to feed them as well. Tough crowd! 😂

Attachments

• E5C2DAA5-7F5D-436B-878E-54B4C8E794C8.jpeg
    E5C2DAA5-7F5D-436B-878E-54B4C8E794C8.jpeg
    500.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 5BD099AA-7E4B-4498-A305-BE66B1F21BDD.jpeg
    5BD099AA-7E4B-4498-A305-BE66B1F21BDD.jpeg
    675.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 94615E5F-479F-4793-AFE8-C375F8D90A34.jpeg
    94615E5F-479F-4793-AFE8-C375F8D90A34.jpeg
    561.5 KB · Views: 21
Move outside?

My 12 chicks are 4.5 weeks old. Mostly feathered except their heads. I’m thinking of moving them to the coop because they have outgrown every brooder I set up for them and the flies are getting really bad in our garage. I would need to run a drop cord for their heat plate, is that safe/okay? Their coop is set up for them with roosting bars, automatic door, etc. Flooring is sand with barn lime and topped with pine shavings. The lows for the next 4 days is upper 30s to low 40s, then the low is mid 50s after that and that should be it for our cold snap in eastern NC. Thoughts?
If you’ve been weaning them off heat, or they’ve been doing it themselves, rather... That’s a good safe sign. Just watch and listen very closely, most certainly. You could always add the heat plate back using that extension cord, if you absolutely have to.

I’d just make sure it’s a nice outdoor cord, well grounded, etc… I like using the ones with their own fuse, but I doubt that’s a deal breaker, especially if you’re only pulling it out for a few days while they can transition properly. Again, only if they act like they need it…

Always best to have you bat “plan B” when raising chickens!! LOL!😉 definitely something I’ve learned quite well… Ha! :)

Back
Top Bottom