4 chick minimum? Who am I, rockerfeller?

Jacob Duckman

Chirping
Jul 4, 2016
Lehigh Valley
I keep a small flock of layers. As they age out, I used to replace them in pairs but my local supplier went out of business.

in comes, TSC... Tractor Supply. These guys have a 4-chick minimum on all pickups without exceptions. Is that some kind of state-wide law in PA? Where on earth can I find two chicks? I wouid go with craigslist, but I'd rather make sure I get quality. Any ideas?

Vermont's minimum is 6 chicks if under 4 weeks of age.

There is a plethora of people who purchase in bulk from hatcheries then sell local for quite a profit. You'll find them on craigslist. Your quality is the same. Hatchery bird sold local. TSC with 4 chick minimum or the local person selling at higher price with no restriction of number.

You're lucky it's 4, Quakertown & Bedminster TSC is 6 min. Bought 3 austrolops and 3 golden laced wyndottes. . But if you're up for the wait, there's a farm in coopersburg that sell fertilized eggs but I think they were like $30/dz? Saw them on Allentown Craigslist. Another suggestion, I had bought some chickens from a guy outside of Doylestown. I ended up with a rooster so he swapped him for a hen and gave me a DZ eggs. He had roos with his hens and on a slim chance had 2 eggs left. Put them in an incubator and they hatched 21 days later. So, maybe instead of buying the DZ @ 30 maybe find someone who sells eggs and know they have roos running and give that a shot.

At the TSC closest to me (in WY), they have a 6 chick minimum. Is it possible to find some other poultry keeper that would split the purchase with you?

Look on Craigslist, ask here on BYC in your state thread, ...there is surely a local source. We drove 3 hours round trip to a hatchery to get 2 chicks, but I see many other possibilities as well.

I keep a small flock of layers. As they age out, I used to replace them in pairs but my local supplier went out of business.

in comes, TSC... Tractor Supply. These guys have a 4-chick minimum on all pickups without exceptions. Is that some kind of state-wide law in PA? Where on earth can I find two chicks? I wouid go with craigslist, but I'd rather make sure I get quality. Any ideas?

Six chick minimum in our state. Personally, I would never get less than three. Chickens do not do well on their own and if something ever happened to one, the other would be alone. Chickens are flock animals and it wouldn't even be easy for the chick to adapt to your older birds, It would be bottom of pecking order, alone most of time and likely run off from the feeders. Even when these two birds age, they are still a "flock", separate from the rest and if one dies, same scenario.

We also have a 6 chick minimum. I kind of just pulled a cashier to the side and said I only needed two, and he let me sneakily buy two. Don't know if that will work for you but maybe!

Ours has a 6 chick minimum too, but our other farm store has no minimum. However, TSC has their chicks all roped, straw baled, and fenced off so that kids and non-reading adults can't disregard the "please don't touch chicks" signs and also has all kinds of signage about chicks being a lifetime commitment and not Easter gifts. They've also got info about local ordinances. The other major farm store has none of that... so, I thought the minimum was to deter the "cute factor" purchases, and to ensure that folks getting started with new flocks had enough to keep them warm and in good company. It just seemed like TSC was being a more responsible seller. I kind of figured that if I said "Hey, I have a full flock already and don't need 6" they'd let me buy less. Probably worth a shot. Valid point made above about the possible loss of a chick though, and the two newbies really being their own flock once they are in with the older hens.

Ours has a 6 chick minimum too, but our other farm store has no minimum. However, TSC has their chicks all roped, straw baled, and fenced off so that kids and non-reading adults can't disregard the "please don't touch chicks" signs and also has all kinds of signage about chicks being a lifetime commitment and not Easter gifts. They've also got info about local ordinances. The other major farm store has none of that... so, I thought the minimum was to deter the "cute factor" purchases, and to ensure that folks getting started with new flocks had enough to keep them warm and in good company. It just seemed like TSC was being a more responsible seller. I kind of figured that if I said "Hey, I have a full flock already and don't need 6" they'd let me buy less. Probably worth a shot. Valid point made above about the possible loss of a chick though, and the two newbies really being their own flock once they are in with the older hens.
I'm not entirely sure what the actual reason for a six chick minimum is, but I really think it has to do with survivability. The reason I think this is because the six chick minimum is only applicable up until, I think, six weeks of age. It could have something to do with sex, but stores sell sex links (just about all they sell around here) so that wouldn't apply. But after raising chickens for several years I do know, one chick by itself has a poor survival rate, two only slightly higher, etc. Chicks feel safer in numbers and that reduces stress. We all know that stress has a negative effect on health. Hens feel safer with their flockmates and adjusting to a new and older flock is stressful for a young bird. But introducing three or four to your flock, the newbies feel a bit safer in their group.

Back
Top Bottom