4-H-er thread!

Pics
Rotater is turned off this morning and humidity added. Still haven't candled, I am just hoping and praying I get something or I will have unmature pullets and cockerels at county... If I get time to candle I will, but if I don't and nothing hatches by Thursday they will be thrown out. I am regretting not not setting them until now
At our county fair all of our birds have to be hatched after January first in order to be qualified. But then again ours is in August.

None of the eggs were pipped today so I threw them out. Not a happy camper.
I took the Red river Valley Fair out of my show list. It just didn't make sense to go to 3 shows in one month. So now the the hens I was going to take there will be shown in the Open Show at state fair. So there will be at least 4 blue cochins!

They were fertilized. I waited to long before setting, as in around a month. And then I didn't had them in my room, which is way to warm, since I didn't want to crawl down into the crawl space 3 times a day

I can't wait until my pullets start laying si that after awhile I can finally hatch some serama babies!
I'm on the same boat here, I have a Jersey Giant pullet that hatched back in April that should be laying any day now! I have a hatch planned for February for our fairs, and I am really hoping she will be laying well enough for a couple of eggs from her!

I am planning on hopefully hatching some January/February, too. Mine should start laying in about 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Just a tip. But a pullets first eggs usually are not somethig you want to hatch. They often are small or not formed correctly. There are also a few other factors but my rule is to give it a month of them laying to set their eggs

I need to set eggs bad. On January 5 I will have 5 months until county fair and about 6 until state fair. I already have birds I that are perfectly capable of winning but I was hoping this year to sweep(get grand and reserve) 5 classes
• Pullet
• Cockerel
• Hen
• Cock
• Young trio

Back
Top Bottom