4 Hen Coop and Run on a Budget

Afrodigh

Songster
5 Years
Oct 12, 2017
Tennessee
I'm determined to have 4 laying hens by spring 2018 (I'm planning on buying pullets after our last frost). My husband thinks it is more economical to buy a pre-fab rather than make one. I've read how disappointed most folks are with the budget-friendly prefabs, so I'm curious: Is it possible to make a coop & run for the cost of a cheap pre-fab?

We have a Habitat Restore nearby that I frequent almost weekly and I've been checking out the "free" section on Craigslist on a regular basis. I'm wondering if I can make a coop and run for 4 hens under $200. Anyone had success with this? I'm thinking of a 6'x6' walk-in run (mostly cuz 6-7' is the longest length of wood I can fit in my Honda Element!) and a 4'x4' coop. Free ranging is not allowed in my area, so they'll be confined to the run and coop at all times (plus we live on a busy road without a fully fenced-in yard).

Things to consider:
1) I live in a hot/wet climate (Nashville, TN)
2) I'm not a wood working pro
3) I don't want it to look too redneck (I want to stay friends with my neighbors!)

I'd love to see what people have built or dreamed up with wood scraps, pallets, etc! Also, where is the cheapest place to acquire hardware fabric? That stuff is pricey!!

Last week I bought a prefab for 4 chickens I’m getting in the next week or two. They are being given to me along with some supplies. I’m really disappointed with it, but we don’t have time to build anything right now. So, we are fortifying it as best as we can. We are going to scrounge up supplies around my in-laws farm and build at least a nice run for them. Eventually, I will build (with hubby’s help - really he will do the building, I will just help) or get a better coop - watching CL and other swap boards. I have no skills as far as construction goes, plus I have limited strength in my hands and arms. So, my options are slim as far as building a coop goes, but I’m hoping the prefab holds up at least until spring.
I’m not even sure there is $100 worth of materials in this coop we purchased. It’s pretty flimsy wood and I’ve already seen issues with it -and nothing even resides in it yet! :barnie
Also, they run pretty small. I got one that said for 8 chickens knowing that the number is highly exaggerated.
If you have skills and the resources, it’s definitely possible to keep the costs down.

If you or your husband is the slightest bit handy, you can buy the materials and build one for much cheaper than a pre fab. To be honest, those prefab coops are not worth the money and aren't very well made. You can get much bigger and better buying some 2x4 and plywood and doing it yourself. People use everything from pallets to playhouses, which you can sometimes find for free or very little cost. Check out this sites coop pages and search Google for more ideas than you'd ever need. Limited only by your imagination and skill level. A lot of them even have plans online.

Be creative. Watch for people giving away or selling shipping crates on Craigslist too.

I seriously love what this member did with this crate.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/moogies-member-page.57036/

Free dog houses can be converted into lovely houses too.

Think hoop run maybe. Might be interesting getting the parts home.

Pallets can also be converted into chicken runs/ coops, particularly in warmer climates like yours. Hoop coops are fairly inexpensive as well. Also often times you can find used tin that people are trying to get rid of. We made an an inexpensive tractor out of pvc tubing, hardware cloth and old political signs that were discarded. Then we added a couple of old horse blankets (or a tarp) to add an additional layer of water proofing. Some horse people replace their blankets frequently and the old ripped ones are great because most of them are water resistant.

chick tractor.jpg
Its a lousy picture but it was really cheap. We did the base tractor and then added the yard which just butts up against it tight. At night we close the door to the tractor for more security. Less than $200 dollars and all the materials fit in the back of the Prius.

You know to be honest....
No it is not possible if using all new materials.

But.
Take him to a feed store that has one there.

Get a feel for the hinges, thickness of the wood, weight (actually lack of weight) and how cheaply made they really are.

Realizing that within months, yes months in your humid climate it will be warped, twisted and disintegrating. Should help convince him that there is a better way even if it costs a bit more.

By the by here is a rough break down on cost for a very small 4x4 coop.
Siding 2 sheets at roughly 35 each.
4x4 need 1 for the legs 25 bucks
Hinges 2 sets 10 bucks
Floor 1/2 sheet needed about 25 bucks
( home depot has half sheets pre cut)
Roof decking 2 sheets 30 bucks
2x4 framing studs about 25 bucks
Drip edge about 6 bucks
Tar paper best to look for a free partial roll or someone's scraps
Shingles 2 bundles 50 bucks or ask at roofing companies if they have some extra you can buy cheap.

So about 180 with hardware added.

Then there are vents, paint and windows to think about.
Not cheaper but WAY stronger and will last years not months.

Graph paper is a great tool for figuring it all out. Erasers are way cheaper then wood. ;)

Anything you can scavenge will cut costs.

1/2 x 1/2 hardware cloth: Amazon or Walmart.com
The price will fluctuate on both sites. You just have to check it a few times a week, before you want to buy it.

Back
Top Bottom