4 Hen Coop and Run on a Budget

Under my Avatar is the link to MY COOP. It is a Rubbermaid 7x7 storage shed. New it is about $550 but you might be able to find a used one or a used wooden shed.
They woon't look redneck.

If Craigs List is big around you , you can get all sorts of stuff for Free or very cheap if you look around. Other then my RM shed, almost all of what I have is either free/cheap from CL or bought cheap at Lowes/Home depot. Other things I just had around that I got years ago.
If you are patient, you can find what you need on a cheap budget ;)

Thanks, ya'll! I found a decent price on hardware cloth on Amazon and have been scrounging up scrap wood from Craigslist and facebook marketplace. I've got the coop frame almost complete and finished two sides for the run today! Making progress and haven't broken the bank (yet)!
coopframe2018.jpg

Congrats !
If you live near office industry, in the back they have used Pallets. You can get good wood from that, smaller pieces though. But Free ! Some places put their stuff on the free section of CL.

I actually just got a 4-6 rubbermaid shed that someone was tossing out ! WHAT a lucky find ! I just need to find screws for it.
Also I have seen the carport frames for cheapo on CL too. The covers don't last long so some people get rid of the frames cheap or free.

I think I’ll get three this year, looking for some around 6 months old so they can go straight outside. I’d love Barred rock, buff Orpington, or americauna but I’ll probably settle for whatever good egg layers I can find locally at that age!

God job! :thumbsup

I personally like to get birds as chicks but I understand your needs to get started birds.

My advice in choosing birds..... I know you didn't ask but there are a few things to look at when choosing.

Try to get them all from one place. Less fighting that way.
Don't feel sorry for as scruffy looking one. Choose birds in good feather and of good weight.
Check their legs, underbelly, vent, and under the wings for signs of mites and lice. If you find one with therm buy zero from that source.

You may find ones a bit younger like at 3 months. They aren't laying yet but they can go straight to the coop too.

Have fun with it! I am sure you'll find good birds.

Back
Top Bottom