4 month old Welsummer :: Cockeral or Pullet??

ariella29

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 14, 2013
Hello, chicken people!! Is our little Cricket a cockeral or a pullet?? He/she is exactly 4 months old (hatched from Meyer on 5/10/17), has always been chatty since she was two days old, and is the leader of the pack. She also is very vocal but doesn't do the traditional cock-a-doodle-do crow. Here are pics of her which are hard to take bc she is always checking me out and moving when I'm with the girls! Thoughts?? I'm new to Welsummers so I'd love any and all thoughts you have about him/her!!

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5565.JPG
IMG_5592.JPG

Pretty girl! She sounds like the complete opposite of my Welsummer girl. Mine has always been pretty much a loaner and never really follows the rest of the flock.
Congrats on the pullet verdict!

Pretty girl! She sounds like the complete opposite of my Welsummer girl. Mine has always been pretty much a loaner and never really follows the rest of the flock.
Thanks!! Can you reply with a photo of yours? I'd love to see her! What other breeds do you have? Mine are mostly orpingtons, and one Australorp. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Also, when did your Welsummer start laying?

Fair warning, I'm famously bad at taking pictures.
This is my little Brownie.

20170810_201605-1.jpg 20170810_200942-1.jpg

She's probably 11-12 weeks in these pics, but she's about 15 weeks now. She's not laying yet, but my Amber White, RIR, and Black Sexlink are about the same age as your Welsummer and they just started to squat. I'm hoping they'll be giving me my first eggs in the next week or two.
I have a mixed flock. Beside the ones I mentioned, I also have a Barred Rock pullet and a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte roo (these are my Welsummer's brooder mates). I also have some that are a month younger than that group: a Buff Orpington, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, a Cuckoo Marans, and another surprise roo that's an Easter Egger.

It's funny because my Welsummer is the only one that kicks my EE roo's butt. She's been happy at the bottom of the pecking order... As long as she's above this Easter Egger.

Back
Top Bottom