4 Week Old Black Australorp Gender

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this breed and we have only one chick that is a 4 week old black australorp so it's hard for me to compare. I think this is a roo, but I am not entirely sure and would like some feedback / expertise on what others think.

Thank you!
How do they look now? I know with ours at 4 weeks we suspected genders and 6 weeks it was easier to tell : )

How do they look now? I know with ours at 4 weeks we suspected genders and 6 weeks it was easier to tell : )
I expected more comb and wattle development right now. But things have slightly slowed. Still pinkish comb. Here are some pictures at about 5.5 weeks. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0213.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_0213.HEIC.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0212.heic.jpeg
    IMG_0212.heic.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0211.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_0211.HEIC.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0210.heic.jpeg
    IMG_0210.heic.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 20
I expected more comb and wattle development right now. But things have slightly slowed. Still pinkish comb. Here are some pictures at about 5.5 weeks. What do you think?
Possibly cockerels, eta maybe pullets, we've found it easier to tell when we have multipls lol. Here are our second batch between 3-4 weeks. Although we do have an 8 week old hen that has more comb than the others (second photo) (or fingers crossed a hen haha poll was pullet over cockerel lol)

Both photos pullet left, cockerel right.

Attachments

• PXL_20230423_213350377.jpg
    PXL_20230423_213350377.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20230424_180435963.jpg
    PXL_20230424_180435963.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 19
Possibly cockerels, eta maybe pullets, we've found it easier to tell when we have multipls lol. Here are our second batch between 3-4 weeks. Although we do have an 8 week old hen that has more comb than the others (second photo) (or fingers crossed a hen haha poll was pullet over cockerel lol)

Both photos pullet left, cockerel right.
This is really helpful! Mine looks to be in between your pullet and cockerel in the second picture, which gives me some hope! It's throwing me off that the comb and wattle development and coloring slowed so much. I'm in another thread where this woman had thee BAs. All had little to no comb development or wattles until around 10 weeks. Then by week 12, saddle feathers began showing. All three were cockerels. Nearly everyone on the forum said she had pullets. But she was posting from Europe and someone said their BAs tend to mature very slowly. Regardless, I am realizing that gendering BAs is aging me by like 10 years lol. I should know in another week or two. I'll update then! Thanks again for sharing and please keep me posted about your BA!

This is really helpful! Mine looks to be in between your pullet and cockerel in the second picture, which gives me some hope! It's throwing me off that the comb and wattle development and coloring slowed so much. I'm in another thread where this woman had thee BAs. All had little to no comb development or wattles until around 10 weeks. Then by week 12, saddle feathers began showing. All three were cockerels. Nearly everyone on the forum said she had pullets. But she was posting from Europe and someone said their BAs tend to mature very slowly. Regardless, I am realizing that gendering BAs is aging me by like 10 years lol. I should know in another week or two. I'll update then! Thanks again for sharing and please keep me posted about your BA!
Haha yes, we need a BA support group, it's stressing us out haha.

P.S. While there are no guarantees with any live animal, for the most part Australorps have a reputation for laid-back males.
6 week update. I expected darker red in the comb since the 4 week pics I posted above. Still thinking male?

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0275.jpeg
    IMG_0275.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0274.jpeg
    IMG_0274.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0273.jpeg
    IMG_0273.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 15
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this breed and we have only one chick that is a 4 week old black australorp so it's hard for me to compare. I think this is a roo, but I am not entirely sure and would like some feedback / expertise on what others think.

Thank you!
Here's my 4-5week old Black Astralorp, supposedly, but so far no waddles
20230427_134847_exported_96157.jpg

Back
Top Bottom