4 week old from Meyer Rare Breed Assortment

I do love me some Orpingtons and this one certainly has the look but Meyer doesn't sell Splash Orpingtons. Lavender is the closest they sell and she's way too white :confused:

I do love me some Orpingtons and this one certainly has the look but Meyer doesn't sell Splash Orpingtons. Lavender is the closest they sell and she's way too white :confused:
Yes they do :) When breeding for blue, black and splash chicks pop up. Here is the information from Meyer's website and for future reference the BBS listed in the name stands for blue, black, splash. :) This information confirms that Meyer isn't using black to splash breeding which is the only way to get only blue chicks.

D20B65E5-4C24-419F-BF5A-95243948372E.png

Here is a blue chicken breeding color chart as well:

10971A32-41E8-4D25-9213-65C7F26502B5.png

Yes they do :) When breeding for blue, black and splash chicks pop up. Here is the information from Meyer's website and for future reference the BBS listed in the name stands for blue, black, splash. :) This information confirms that Meyer isn't using black to splash breeding which is the only way to get only blue chicks.

View attachment 3159349

Here is a blue chicken breeding color chart as well:

View attachment 3159350
Well fiddlesticks, don't I feel silly :th

I'm quite familiar with BBS and yet this whole time all I kept thinking was "what's this weird white chicken" 🥴

I'll keep updating as she grows but I'm quite sure you are right.

Want to have a guess at gender? This one has had me going back and forth for weeks. Comb started reddening early but hasn't developed much in a couple weeks. I'm back to being cautiously optimistic it's a pullet.

Well fiddlesticks, don't I feel silly :th

I'm quite familiar with BBS and yet this whole time all I kept thinking was "what's this weird white chicken" 🥴

I'll keep updating as she grows but I'm quite sure you are right.

Want to have a guess at gender? This one has had me going back and forth for weeks. Comb started reddening early but hasn't developed much in a couple weeks. I'm back to being cautiously optimistic it's a pullet.
Looks like a pullet to me!

8.5 week update - I think that Rhodebar Lover was spot on with Splash Orpington so that's one mystery solved.

I still go back and forth on the sex though. To me, the early comb and wattle development, leg size, slow feathering, upright stance, and bold as brass personality all shout cockerel. BUT the comb and wattle development has slowed down a lot and not going super red, often I glance at it and think what a pretty pullet, and I want it to be a girl so by the laws of wishful thinking it is definitely a girl... right?

SPLASH1.jpg

SPLASH2.jpg

SPLASH3.jpg

SPLASH.jpg

Back
Top Bottom