4 week old from Meyer Rare Breed Assortment

Cute, I got my Meyers assortment hatch date May 23. I didn't get any that look like yours though. They didn't give me any blues, I did buy a blue andelusian, to add blue to the chicks I bought from meyers.

Also, I hatched a bunch of blue and pink eggs from the grocery store. They they were all either black or chipmunk, but I did get one silver. below.

36d.PNG

Ok so this chick got into a proper dust up with a cockerel nest mate today. Hackles raised kicks flying feathers pulled out sort of deal. S/he did not back down and this wasn’t normal chick play fighting. I've seen hens quarrel with each other and with roos but pullets at this age don't tend to be quite so bold. The two for sure females in this group are timid as can be.

Have you seen 8 week old pullets fight aggressively with males? Maybe this is common behavior I just haven't personally witnessed?

Last edited:
??? I don't know. I have a few hens that still fight with their cockerel on the regular. But it's usually a bunch of posturing and pecking. haven't seen them lose feathers but maybe I just missed it.

No major changes at 9 weeks so maybe female or slow developing cockerel which I've experienced with Orps :confused:

Will keep updating until I know for sure just in case it can help anyone else in the future.

IMG-4973.jpg

IMG-4977.jpg

Back
Top Bottom