4 Week old questions about moving

Kalthia

Songster
14 Years
Nov 16, 2009
Virginia
Chicks will be 4 weeks on Tuesday.
They are in my office, which is remaining way too hot to get them acclimated and ready to be outdoors where we just had our first freeze.
My plan is to build the run in the garage - and keep them there two weeks to acclimate . I plan on keeping the brooding plate running on low- or until I feel comfortable that they will be okay overnights w/no issues.
The office is getting down to about 60 when I leave a window open - and I am turning brooder heat off during the day. They seem to be doing fine.

My questions -
1. the garage has a concrete floor - I am planning on padding the run with cardboard with a tarp over that and some hay and pine shavings over that. Will that be sufficient? I don't want them pecking the concrete.
2. Will two weeks be enough time in the cooler garage to get them acclimated to move outside?

Thank you all again for your expert advice - I would be lost w/o you all!

Betty

1. the garage has a concrete floor - I am planning on padding the run with cardboard with a tarp over that and some hay and pine shavings over that. Will that be sufficient? I don't want them pecking the concrete.
Don't worry about them pecking or scratching the concrete. Worry about them staining the concrete with their poop.

2. Will two weeks be enough time in the cooler garage to get them acclimated to move outside?
Yes. At 6 weeks they will be able to survive those temperatures without acclimating but they will be more comfortable if you do. I consider it a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom