4 year olds not laying anymore

What do I do with my old hens?

• Total voters

ctrstandards

Chirping
7 Years
May 24, 2016
What do I do with the hens that haven't laid eggs for months... none through the summer and nothing today. I know for sure my White Leghorn is not laying, she is the only one I have in my flock of 18. We are only averaging 7 eggs a day for the past year. Does that mean that half my hens are not laying or maybe a quarter? If so, what do I do with them. No one is going to want to take an old hen that doesn't let eggs and my children surely do not want someone to take them and eat them.

Eat them... think pressure cooker.

Some folks keep ancient chickens around just for bug control... once upon a time, I had a practice of "turning them out to pasture" when they got way too old to lay eggs. Just let them out of their runs to roam free. This way, I was putting way less feed into the non-productive birds and eventually nature took its course (predators). But, they got to run free and enjoy their last part of life doing what they pleased

With the kids involved, you are between a rock and a hard place. To guarantee production many replace one third to half a flock each year depending upon breed. Sounds as if you are stuck with pets. Any possibility of adding new birds and NOT naming them next year. As a kid I was always allowed one or two 'pets' the rest were not named.

It's really a discussion you need to have with your family. My flock are pets, they have names, they'll live here even after they slow down or stop laying. But not everyone wants to or can afford to be feeding hens that aren't contributing. If that's your situation then it's best to explain it to the kids - maybe you could agree to keep a particular favorite hen.

If you don't want to eat them yourself and give them away or sell them, they might become someone's pet or they might become dinner, that would be up to the person who takes them.

I eat mine. Are y'all vegetarians of some sort, and don't eat chicken? Could be excellent lesson for kids to know where meat comes from.

But if they are pets, and you can afford to feed and house them, keep 'em.

Hopefully you and kids know that death from 'old age' is not pretty in a chicken,
eventually you may have to face euthanizing them.

Appearance is a big indicator of which birds are laying. Bright red, fleshy combs are one indicator. You can also check the spacing on their pelvic bones. 3 fingers - laying, 2 fingers coming into or going out of lay, 1 finger - sorry, no eggs.
This^^^ Here's a how to:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Might not want to count any out, or even check them, until March.
If you live in the northern hemisphere the days have just barely started getting longer.

I do have a yard where I keep my old hens, they live a happy life until the end of their natural lives, the way I figure it is they have done their share feeding us eggs for few years so they can retire and continue pecking and scratching.

I might try and section the older hens from the younger and see if I can be for sure which ones are not laying. But that means more construction and fencing. But it might be worth it. Thanks for the fast replies!

Back
Top Bottom