5 days of incubation - infertile egg?

LM24

Hatching
Feb 26, 2024
This egg has had 5 days in the incubator, 37.5-38.5*C, trying to keep humidity around 55% though I found it dropped so suddenly overnight a couple times without warning. Photo is before incubation started, video is now (video on youtube as can't attach videos on here directly). Please could someone have a look and advise what has happened with the egg? Thank you

Attachments

• 20240221_210449.jpg
    20240221_210449.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 30
That's a better view of the egg.
At 6 days you'd be seeing some little veins. Can you see any?
38.5C is too hot. Is there not a fan in your incubator?

Can't see any veins sadly. That shadow/black blob is growing - is that the decomposition/bacteria?

When I set up the incubator I put 2 extra thermometers in (a digital one and an analogue one) that both showed the incubator about a degree lower than what it said. (Online reviews for the incubator said the same thing - the temperature was usually a degree lower than it said.) I read an incubation temperature range online that said 37.5*C to 38.5*C so set the incubator at the higher end to adjust for the thermometer.

The digital thermometer then started showing even lower temperatures which just didn't seem right so I got a couple more digital thermometers with good reviews on amazon. With the new ones when I place them in the middle of the incubator, they agree with it's temperature setting usually within 0.1*C but on the edge of the incubator read a degree lower so 37.5*C.

The incubator has a fan but it's only a little incubator, I don't know why in the temperature differs on area.

That's a better view of the egg.
At 6 days you'd be seeing some little veins. Can you see any?
38.5C is too hot. Is there not a fan in your incubator?
This is day 8 now. Can't see veins. Yolk shape has changed and looks irregular and strange. Black shadow is bigger. Do you think it's definitely dead?

This is day 8 now. Can't see veins. Yolk shape has changed and looks irregular and strange. Black shadow is bigger. Do you think it's definitely dead?
It doesn't appear to be viable, but I also don't consider candling my strong suit. Veins should be easy to see on light colored eggs, I also don't see any.

Do you have any other eggs in the bator for comparison? Image from google..

1709243309082.png

The overnight humidity drops shouldn't matter much since it's the overall incubation period that adds up.

It doesn't appear to be viable, but I also don't consider candling my strong suit. Veins should be easy to see on light colored eggs, I also don't see any.

Do you have any other eggs in the bator for comparison? Image from google..

View attachment 3760428

The overnight humidity drops shouldn't matter much since it's the overall incubation period that adds up.
Thank you. Yeah it doesn't look like any of the candling images I've seen with those spider veins you're supposed to see. No, it's the only egg - I found it out in the open, not in the nest so know it's chances weren't great but wanted to give it a chance at life. I've incubated an egg previously that was infertile and that looked so different to this - that's the only thing I can personally compare it to other than youtube videos of egg candling.

Back
Top Bottom