5 Gallon Bucket mouse trap

Because I don't want them in the house eating my food and pooping on the counters!
big_smile.png

I've caught one everyday until Monday. That one must have been the smartest, it managed to get out so I have adapted the trap. I cut the bottom off a single serve pudding cup (yes, empty) and duct taped it in the hole in the cover. Had one mouse the day before yesterday but no mouse yesterday or today and all the BOSS is still in the bucket.

There is plenty to eat out by the barn, in the barn, etc. We have sparrows that think the girls' feeder in their coop is there for them. The just fly in the chicken door. Haven't seen all that many the last few weeks but fall and through December WOW, at least 7 or 8 at a time.

Bruce

Update on 5 gallon bucket mouse trap:
I put a plastic single serving pudding cup with the bottom cut out in the hole. A mouse had cleaned out the BOSS and escaped!

I put 8 mice (or some combination of the same mouse/mice 1-8 times) out by the barn.

Then either:
- the same mouse/mice got smart and just ignored the BOSS in AND on the bucket
OR
- other mice said "hey, they go in but they never come back" an stayed far away

In any case, I have had to resort to the old fashioned spring trap. 6 sent outside. Sorry mice, I tried but it came down to you being alive outside or dead outside but NOT living in the house pooping on the kitchens counters and in the drawers.

Bruce

So glad found this post today! I have been finding broke eggs all the time and my mouse trap baits just get infested with ant so they eat and no bait for the mice. I am definetly making two of these when I get off work Thanks again for the post

I have one in my cellar and one in the garage. Best reason is if you use poison you usaully end up smelling dead mouse or rat in your walls untill they dehydrate. Gross. Rats get smart to traps pretty quick also.

So glad to hear about this. I found 3 mice last night in my 5 gallon bucket I leave in the run. They were hopping up, but couldn't hop high enough to get out. no water needed. I think I'll modify it with the can/peanut butter and trap some more!

My girls are 9 months old and they weren't interested in the dead mice. Anyone know how old chickens are before they get interested? Mine are Buckeyes.

So glad to hear about this. I found 3 mice last night in my 5 gallon bucket I leave in the run. They were hopping up, but couldn't hop high enough to get out. no water needed. I think I'll modify it with the can/peanut butter and trap some more!

My girls are 9 months old and they weren't interested in the dead mice. Anyone know how old chickens are before they get interested? Mine are Buckeyes.
What did you do with the not drowned mice?
I've tried letting them go alive in the run, they got out.
Put them in the HC lined coop and one old girl knew what to do....the rest learned from there.
Even tossing in dead ones it' takes them awhile to figure it out and them a longer while to get them torn up enough to swallow.

Last edited:
We killed them with a knife and left them there to possibly attract others. This worked I guess, because I found another one in the bucket this morning. I'm leaving it there for the day to attract more. If that doesn't work, I'll try the peanut butter on the can method.

The girls are both 9 months old, so we'll have to teach them.

I have nice in my run too. I remove the veggie tray and the mash bowls every night but the pellets feeder is suspended from the roof of the run. During the day the chickens throw the pellets everywhere and I try to sweep it up but it gets mixed in with the earth so the nice have that to eat. I have a problem with killing them but realise I have to do something before they get too much of a problem. I have a cat and she catches them outside the run - I daren't let her in as she'll attack the chickens -they're only bantams. I suppose what I need to do is somehow block up any gaps between the flag stones which the run is based on. I don't have much faith in the humane traps although they've got to be worth a try. I didn't know mice don't like mint. I shall but some plants and set them around the run too. Any other ideas truly welcome please

Back
Top Bottom