Overstock Sale on 5-gallon Bucket Feeder Kit at Amazon, reduced 50% to $6.49!

Pics

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
When I first got my chickens 4 years ago, I made a 5-gallon bucket feeder using PVC elbow pipes. I have it hanging in the chicken coop 24/7. The chickens stick their head into the PVC pipe and eat the food in the bucket. It reduces the amount of waste feed I used to get with open pans and other feeders I had. So, I considered it a success. It's not perfect, but better than the other options I have tried. Here is a picture of the type of 5-gallon bucket feed I made...

1700415599954.png

I wanted to share something I just got a notification from Amazon, it is a 4-port kit for buckets with 1 hole saw included, overstock price reduced to only $6.49 for the kit! That's a fantastic price. The hole saw alone sells for more than $6.49 at most places. Plus, you cannot buy the PVC elbows, rings, and plugs at that price at the big box stores. I don't know how long that sale will last, but if you are interested, check it out. Here are some pics of the deal...

1700416018198.png

1700416086525.png

1700416123450.png

1700416200282.png

Well, if you are interested, you have the link on Amazon to check out. The kit includes about everything you need other than a bucket. I just think it's an amazing deal at this price because I know you cannot buy all those parts for anywhere near their current overstock price. I don't expect this kit to last long at that price.

Hope this post is helpful to some of you guys. Later...

That is a very good price for the kit. 👍 I already have a good setup or I would buy one. With this, all you need is an electric drill to build your own feeder.

Thank you @gtaus . Not currently needing this, but ordered one for next time I do 🙂

:lau Well, me too. I ordered a kit at this price in case I ever expand my current chicken operation. Also, that hole saw alone is probably worth more than the $6.49 price of the kit.

I also want to see if their PVC design and cut is better than my DIY elbow PVC job. I certainly like the idea of the gasket and screw on nut for the PVC feeder.

How do you keep squirrels out of this type of feeder?
Two ways. If in a fully enclosed coop and/or run, then it shouldn't need any protection. If it is in an area that squirrels can get into, then rats can as well. In that case, they do supply screw-on caps that you can put on every night.

I prefer to keep their feeder in the coop area (assuming you have the space) where is is only open during the day and locked down at night from any pests.

How do you keep squirrels out of this type of feeder?

Two ways. If in a fully enclosed coop and/or run, then it shouldn't need any protection. If it is in an area that squirrels can get into, then rats can as well. In that case, they do supply screw-on caps that you can put on every night.

I prefer to keep their feeder in the coop area (assuming you have the space) where is is only open during the day and locked down at night from any pests.

Exactly. I have my feeder bucket hanging from a chain inside my coop, which I lock up at night. I don't have any rat problem, but I have seen a few mice making home in the coop in winter. They have never gotten into the hanging feed bucket. I have never seen a squirrel in my coop.

Having said that, these feeders reduce the amount of food that gets spilled on the floor, but not everything. I'm sure a hungry mouse would find more than enough food to keep them happy. If that was a big issue for me, I would simply make a wooden frame under the hanging feeder bucket and put hardware cloth on top of the frame. Any spilled chicken feed would fall through the hardware cloth and be protected from mice, etc... I don't do that, because the chickens will eat most of that spilled feed under the bucket. It's not enough spillage to concern me.

Also, I toss out my old coop litter into the chicken run for composting. So, the chickens have yet more chances to pick through the litter and eat that feed that might have been spilled out of the feeder unto the floor. If not, the worms will find that feed and eat it, and the chickens will find the worms and eat them. Either way, it's consumed directly or indirectly by the chickens.

Last edited:
:lau Well, me too. I ordered a kit at this price in case I ever expand my current chicken operation. Also, that hole saw alone is probably worth more than the $6.49 price of the kit.

I also want to see if their PVC design and cut is better than my DIY elbow PVC job. I certainly like the idea of the gasket and screw on nut for the PVC feeder.
Good deal... I don't have Prime and can't order under $35. Unfortunately, I wait for the daughter to be out the shower so she can order through student account and the deal no longer available. It is short live.

Exactly. I have my feeder bucket hanging from a chain inside my coop, which I lock up at night. I don't have any rat problem, but I have seen a few mice making home in the coop in winter. They have never gotten into the hanging feed bucket. I have never seen a squirrel in my coop.

Having said that, these feeders reduce the amount of food that gets spilled on the floor, but not everything. I'm sure a hungry mouse would find more than enough food to keep them happy. If that was a big issue for me, I would simply make a wooden frame under the hanging feeder bucket and put hardware cloth on top of the frame. Any spilled chicken feed would fall through the hardware cloth and be protected from mice, etc... I don't do that, because the chickens will eat most of that spilled feed under the bucket. It's not enough spillage to concern me.

Also, I toss out my old coop litter into the chicken run for composting. So, the chickens have yet more chances to pick through the litter and eat that feed that might have been spilled out of the feeder unto the floor. If not, the worms will find that feed and eat it, and the chickens will find the worms and eat them. Either way, it's get consumed directly or indirectly by the chickens.
My flock manages to spill some feed with this type of feeder. I bought a couple inexpensive large plastic trays at a dollar store, and placed the feeder on top of one of the trays. It catches almost everything they manage to flick out of the feeder. The second tray is for when the first breaks.
:pop

IMG_20230730_144104811.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom