Songster
9 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Northwest USA
IMG_2392.jpeg
IMG_2395.jpeg
IMG_2394.jpeg
IMG_2393.jpeg

Built a cheap five gallon feeder for my chicken run. Leftover pickle bucket from work and six feeding ports that I got on Amazon. Kit came with the feeding ports, hole saw, six horizontal nipples and a drill bit. I have another bucket for a waterer. I’m all in about $30. I’m sure y’all have seen these before but I’ve never made one. Came out ok. I have some large funnels I’m thinking of putting on top to try to prevent roosting.

View attachment 3508139View attachment 3508140View attachment 3508141View attachment 3508143
Built a cheap five gallon feeder for my chicken run. Leftover pickle bucket from work and six feeding ports that I got on Amazon. Kit came with the feeding ports, hole saw, six horizontal nipples and a drill bit. I have another bucket for a waterer. I’m all in about $30. I’m sure y’all have seen these before but I’ve never made one. Came out ok. I have some large funnels I’m thinking of putting on top to try to prevent roosting.
Definitely put a funnel or other obstacle on top....they'll soil it very quickly if not. I have a 5 gallon converted waterer and they wrecked it in just a couple hours. Went to the hardware store and bought a funnel and gorilla taped it to the top. Problem solved

Do you guys find you hens manage to flick much feed out using those feeder sockets?
I use this type of feeder and have noticed when the bucket is less full, there is no waste. Just refilled the bucket with a flock raiser crumble feed, and noticed very minor wastage at port site, but then the bird eat it off the ground so not a huge loss by any means.

View attachment 3508139View attachment 3508140View attachment 3508141View attachment 3508143
That's helps but they still try to climb on mine. I have mine hanging in the middle of our hoop coop and now it's like they have a swing lol. So idk what to do for that. And our other ones are in the mobile A-frame on the roost so it definitely gets dirty I wish I could do something to prevent that .o well still gotta clean them like once a week.. try to anyway. It looks good. Good job

Back
Top Bottom