5 hour old chick- see attached photo

AkSandy

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2022
Is this just pasty butt? It looks awful... This chick was just born this morning (finished exiting the egg about 5 hours ago) and its' mama proceeded to boot it from the nesting box. It is her only chick and she is new to this, as am I. We have raised chicks from a hatchery but none quite this young. Can I clean it up? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• pastybuttmaybe.jpeg
    pastybuttmaybe.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 86
Ouch, poor little thing, this looks as if it got vent pecked by the broody.
I would clean it carefully with antiseptic wash and apply triple antibiotic ointment to see if it will heal and be able to poop properly.

Keep it well slathered to prevent from drying out and cracking. Use towels as bedding until fully healed.

Do you keep it in a brooder with heat source, feed and clean water?
To keep it company, let it have a stuffed animal to snuggel against and put an old fashioned alarm clock underneath the towel. The ticking sound helps with loneliness.

She was only sitting on the one. She is a young hen. And my son did see her peck it before she pushed it out of the box.
Hopefully, the vent will heal quickly to allow proper defecation.

Keep an eye out as it should not build a crust sealing the vent preventing it to defecate.

If it heals and survives the next few days I would get it some chicks of similar age for company.

Ouch, poor little thing, this looks as if it got vent pecked by the broody.
I would clean it carefully with antiseptic wash and apply triple antibiotic ointment to see if it will heal and be able to poop properly.

Keep it well slathered to prevent from drying out and cracking. Use towels as bedding until fully healed.

Do you keep it in a brooder with heat source, feed and clean water?
To keep it company, let it have a stuffed animal to snuggel against and put an old fashioned alarm clock underneath the towel. The ticking sound helps with loneliness.
She's in a make shift brooder with an infared heater (the one's that look like a computer screen, our chick one broke) and we are monitoring the temp and keeping it between 90-94F. We haven't fed her yet as she is so young. My husband is grabbing some chick starter today. Thanks for the idea about putting a stuffed animal and ticking clock in there and the helpful guidance.

Back
Top Bottom