5 week Barred Rock not thriving

Poppyfrida

In the Brooder
May 31, 2015
Simi Valley, California
Hi everyone! I am a first time chick momma and I am very worried about one of my barred rocks. I got her 2 weeks ago and she hasn't grown very much. Yesterday she started chirping constantly kind of like a squeaky wheel that won't stop. The other 5 chicks are significantly bigger than her. I have noticed that she's not really eating or drinking which she was doing 2 days ago. She seems so skinny and small. We separated her from the bunch tonight for fear of being suffocated cause she keeps crawling under everyone. I read about crop issues but I can't feel anything there really. She has pooped but it is very little and watery. We forced some water down her this evening. I am so scared of losing her. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

We weighed all of them and she is 100 grams smaller than the other smallest bird.

Thank you for any insight.

Chicks aren't what they eat, they are what they absorb.
Right now the chick's body systems are teetering because of a nutritional need. The trick is to get the nutrition into it in a manner it can utilize in it's weakened state before the body systems start a cascade of failure due to lack of energy and nutrition.
She may be having digestive issues as a side effect of being the runt. She may need some nutritional supplement. That said, if she isn't digesting her feed or has some other digestive issue, the Bovidr Labs supplements may be just what she needs. I have used them on my collies and poultry for over a decade. They do not need to be digested. Mainline directly into the bloodstream, measureable in 30 minutes with 99% utilization. All natural.
I get mine at Tractor Supply ( or try your local feed store) Use either the Poultry ($6.99) or Goat ( $9.99) formulas of their Nutri-Drench. The smallest bottle will do. You can also use the Pet Nutri-Drops. Just use the Poultry usage and dosage instructions whichever you pick. Tho the Bovidr Labs formulas are species-specific, they also meet the scientific standards for a universal formula ( Per the science tech at Bovidr Labs).
Give each chick one drop only by mouth. Repeat as needed every 8-10 hours. For maintenance put 2ml per gallon in their water for 2 weeks. For a stress situation put 4 ml per gallon in their water. If they don't like the taste of the 4ml solution, just back it down to 2ml for good success.
Last season I raised 42 Light Sussex chicks on the Goat formula ( using the Poultry instructions) . All healthy and strong, no deaths or weak ones. I always use it for the first month to get the chicks off to a strong start. http://www.nutridrench.com I make my solution the color of very weak tea.
Very concentrated, a little goes a long way. Put it in all the chick's waterers. While you are at the store, buy a 3ml syringe. Safely dispose of the needle and us the syringe to measure the Drench if your bottle doesn't have a dropper built into the cap.
Best Success,
Karen

Last edited:
Have you checked for pasty butt? If she has a "plug" of poop on her vent and can't poop, that needs to be gently massaged away with a very soft paper towel. Also she may be constipated. A bit of molasses solves constipation in chicks.
Check your warmth in the brooder. if it is too hot, she may be getting dehydrated which could cause constipation. Should be 90 degrees for new hatched, then dial down 5 degrees a week untl they are a month old. By then they will be at 70 degrees, usually the light can be turned off. When they are fully feathered, they can go outside
Usually the way one tells if a chick is fully feathered is if their breasts are "zipped up". As the chick feathers, the feathers come in in certain body areas at certain times. The feathers in the breast usually start coming in from the sides... leaving chick down in the center part of the breats. (Like where a zipper would be on a hoodie). At last, the feathering occurs in the center of the breast and it becomes fully feathered or "zipped up". Usually that is a good sign the chicks are ready to go outside and live.
Best,
Karen

Thank you for your suggestions. She doesn't have pasty butt but she did when we first got her but we check her everyday and it hasn't returned. Couldn't buy the medicine you suggested cause they didn't have it at the feed store. Bought it on Amazon...hope it comes before she gets any worse. We did get the electrolyte and probiotic stuff at the feed store hoping that it will help. We moved the lamp further away from her and keep feeding her water with a syringe. She stopped the constant loud chirping after we gave her water last night. Don't know if that is a good sign or a bad one. She's hanging in there. Thanks again for your advice.

Whilst you are waiting for medication to come, try mixing some plain natural yoghurt with some scrambled egg and give her that. It definitely sounds like a digestive problem. I feed fermented feed as it is more easily digestible but it takes a few days to get going, so probiotic yoghurt may help things in the meantime. Really important to get nutrition into them so tempt her with whatever she will eat.... scrambled eggs is usually a favourite.

Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom