5 week old gosling with hard crop

Her crop is completely empty and her abdomen is soft as well. I tried giving her her normal feed, nothing. I tried to stimulate her with some free oat sprouts I grow myself, nothing. And refusing the egg. She is drinking, but is so weak I have to hold her head now. I'm losing her. I have her wrapped in a towel bundled under my robe against my chest to keep her warm and to keep her calm. She panics without her 5 siblings.

From the day we brought her home, she was the smallest of them all. My son nicknamed her Tiny and spent lots of time playing with her and hand feeding her treats from my garden after I approved it, of coarse. She was very loving and more graceful than the other big bruisers and had a close friendship with some chicks we bought on the same day. She was perfectly fine yesterday, running, splashing in her pool, grazing on grass. This morning when I checked on them she was a little off but up and about. Then a few hours later when I went to take them out she wouldn't get up. I saw her shaking and picked her up, felt how hard her crop was, and came here for help.

Nothing unusual happened to cause this that I know of. And I'm the one who cares for them everyday.

From the day we brought her home, she was the smallest of them all. My son nicknamed her Tiny and spent lots of time playing with her and hand feeding her treats from my garden after I approved it, of coarse. She was very loving and more graceful than the other big bruisers and had a close friendship with some chicks we bought on the same day. She was perfectly fine yesterday, running, splashing in her pool, grazing on grass. This morning when I checked on them she was a little off but up and about. Then a few hours later when I went to take them out she wouldn't get up. I saw her shaking and picked her up, felt how hard her crop was, and came here for help.

Nothing unusual happened to cause this that I know of. And I'm the one who cares for them everyday.
So sorry, it sounds like she´s very poorly. Have you seen anything about giving niacin to them? often they can get a great need for niacin, which is in brewer´s Yeast, and the result can be almost immediate.

My lot won´t eat egg. If they´re feeling poorly, I usually get them eating again by putting bits of lettuce floating in water with niacin in it, it works wonders, but if she can´t even keep her head up, it sounds a bit doubtful. It´s good the food´s gone through her now, at least that may have given her some sustainance. Can you not put a couple of the other goslings in with her, or is she too weak to cope?

No, no said anything about that! I bought wormer, lice medicine, cold medicine, and antibiotic for my birds to have on hand. No one said they needed anything else. Where can you get brewers yeast?

I wish I could put her with them, but they are almost twice her size and one is a bully. I had her out in the sun while they grazed, and the bully came over and bit and stepped on her. She tried to get up but couldn't and he kept coming back no matter how many times I pushed him away.

The other 4 are very upset she is missing, but they pooped on her when I tried putting her with 2 of them.

I wish I could put her with them, but they are almost twice her size and one is a bully. I had her out in the sun while they grazed, and the bully came over and bit and stepped on her. She tried to get up but couldn't and he kept coming back no matter how many times I pushed him away.

The other 4 are very upset she is missing, but they pooped on her when I tried putting her with 2 of them.
Does she have her eyes open? Maybe a little mirror would help a little.

Thanks! There is a Walgreens 10 miles from here. I'm ask the hubby if he can get some. I already added antibiotic to her water only, can it be mixed with the niacin?

Thanks! There is a Walgreens 10 miles from here. I'm ask the hubby if he can get some. I already added antibiotic to her water only, can it be mixed with the niacin?
Niacin isn´t a medicine, it´s just a vitamin, so no problem. Best to try to get the Brewer´s Yeast, don´t get slow release niacin, get normal, that´s why Brewer´s Yeast is good. she needs it to be absorbed quickly.

Niacin isn´t a medicine, it´s just a vitamin, so no problem. Best to try to get the Brewer´s Yeast, don´t get slow release niacin, get normal, that´s why Brewer´s Yeast is good. she needs it to be absorbed quickly.
If this should work, and top marks to you guys for trying so hard, just give it to her for a few days, then stop for a bit, see how she´s doing. overdoses on niacin are possible.

Back
Top Bottom