5 week old gosling with hard crop

My lot won´t eat egg. If they´re feeling poorly, I usually get them eating again by putting bits of lettuce floating in water with niacin in it, it works wonders, but if she can´t even keep her head up, it sounds a bit doubtful. It´s good the food´s gone through her now, at least that may have given her some sustainance. Can you not put a couple of the other goslings in with her, or is she too weak to cope?

No, no said anything about that! I bought wormer, lice medicine, cold medicine, and antibiotic for my birds to have on hand. No one said they needed anything else. Where can you get brewers yeast?

I wish I could put her with them, but they are almost twice her size and one is a bully. I had her out in the sun while they grazed, and the bully came over and bit and stepped on her. She tried to get up but couldn't and he kept coming back no matter how many times I pushed him away.

The other 4 are very upset she is missing, but they pooped on her when I tried putting her with 2 of them.

No, no said anything about that! I bought wormer, lice medicine, cold medicine, and antibiotic for my birds to have on hand. No one said they needed anything else. Where can you get brewers yeast?
Brewer´s yeast is used as a food supplement, i buy it in a pharmacy. it has niacin, or vit b3 in it, so it´s good. goslings that lack it get weak and will die. I crumble a tablet up and feed it in the water.

I wish I could put her with them, but they are almost twice her size and one is a bully. I had her out in the sun while they grazed, and the bully came over and bit and stepped on her. She tried to get up but couldn't and he kept coming back no matter how many times I pushed him away.

The other 4 are very upset she is missing, but they pooped on her when I tried putting her with 2 of them.
Does she have her eyes open? Maybe a little mirror would help a little.

Thanks! There is a Walgreens 10 miles from here. I'm ask the hubby if he can get some. I already added antibiotic to her water only, can it be mixed with the niacin?

Thanks! There is a Walgreens 10 miles from here. I'm ask the hubby if he can get some. I already added antibiotic to her water only, can it be mixed with the niacin?
Niacin isn´t a medicine, it´s just a vitamin, so no problem. Best to try to get the Brewer´s Yeast, don´t get slow release niacin, get normal, that´s why Brewer´s Yeast is good. she needs it to be absorbed quickly.

Niacin isn´t a medicine, it´s just a vitamin, so no problem. Best to try to get the Brewer´s Yeast, don´t get slow release niacin, get normal, that´s why Brewer´s Yeast is good. she needs it to be absorbed quickly.
If this should work, and top marks to you guys for trying so hard, just give it to her for a few days, then stop for a bit, see how she´s doing. overdoses on niacin are possible.

Thanks, I'm desperate to save her. I'll try just about anything. I did sacrifice a mirror from my compact for her. Lol. How can you tell if a goose needs niacin? Why would she get so sick so fast while her 5 siblings didn't?

Thanks, I'm desperate to save her. I'll try just about anything. I did sacrifice a mirror from my compact for her. Lol. How can you tell if a goose needs niacin? Why would she get so sick so fast while her 5 siblings didn't?
It just seems to affect some and not others, I´ve no idea why. I lost some goslings at first, didn´t know why until I came on here, then one of the regulars on here said about niacin and I did research and discovered a few things. lack of it affects growth, so they don´t grow well, feel boney and get weak on their legs, these are the more obvious things. Geese need niacin in their diet. Good grass should consist of 80 - 90 % of their diet, romaine lettuce is good, and peas.
big_smile.png

I recently had an adult goose not wanting to walk. all the others were fine. she was like this for a day or two, then I managed to get some Brewer´s Yeast into her, and she was right as rain the next day. I dosed all the rest at the same time, too.

Back
Top Bottom