5 week old gosling with hard crop

Starfire669

Songster
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
San Antonio, Texas
I am in a panic, my smallest gosling has a hard crop and won't get up, eat, or drink. When I picked her up she was shaking like a leaf, I can see her head shaking now while she is on the ground. In desperation I did syringe a couple mL of olive oil down her and messaged her crop. I know I'm not supposed to do what I did because of her long neck, but she seems to be getting weaker and more lethargic. We don't have avian vets and I don't know who to help her.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I also accidentally posted this same question in the introduction section and don't know if I can remove it. And I intentionally posted in the emergencies section. I'm hoping someone will see the emergency or the gosling post and be able to help me. I'm sorry, I just don't want to lose my baby!

No, no said anything about that! I bought wormer, lice medicine, cold medicine, and antibiotic for my birds to have on hand. No one said they needed anything else. Where can you get brewers yeast?
Brewer´s yeast is used as a food supplement, i buy it in a pharmacy. it has niacin, or vit b3 in it, so it´s good. goslings that lack it get weak and will die. I crumble a tablet up and feed it in the water.

I am very upset and am attempting to pull myself together for when the kids get up for school. We couldn't find brewers yeast, both CVS and Walgreens didn't have any and the GNC was closed. We will go to the GNC today to get some for the other geese. Her 5 siblings have been calling and tearing at the door looking for her.
What a shame you didn´t find any, I think it could have made the difference, but even so she wasn´t strong, and well done to hubby for going out and trying. so frustrating, isn´t it?

Now, you just need to think about the other 5, think positive and enjoy them. don´t stay sad. Photos would be good to see, too. We´re all photo-holics on here.
hugs.gif

I contacted GNC, they don't open for another hour but this nice guy answered the phone anyway. He is holding is last 2 bottles of brewers yeast for me. 1 is a 500mG tablet the other is a powder form. I will be there when they open to pick it up.

I also double checked our turkey starter, it was medicated! I specifically said non-medicated and the lady say the only sell non-medicated. I'm taking the unopened bag back to show her she is wrong. The medicine could have contributed to my goslings death. The first bag was non-medicated and then we purchased 2 more and just opened and started using the 1 of the new bag 5 days ago. I think there is a connection. Is she was niacin deficient and eating medicated feed that would kill any goose.

I buried my girl this morning under a rose bush with lots of buds. Then I took the others out for grazing, they stayed much closer to me this morning and were telling me they are upset at the loss of their sister. Jasper, my lap gosling climbed in my lab, then all the others tried to join him! We had a snuggle/comfort session then they settled down to the very serious business of eating, lol. I was also looking at them very closely, checking if any others were showing signs of illness from the feed or vitamin defiency and I noticed 1 doesnt look like the others. His feet and bill are whiter, his bill is smooth with no bumps on top, and he peeps differently. So I think he might be a different breed of white goose than the other 4.

I know geese need pairs or trios at most with 1 gander to 1 or 2 females, I will get them mates. And I will ensure that they get their vitamins and the proper feed. I'll load the dang bag myself (I'm not supposed to lift heavy weights because I have metal holding my spine together). But the feedstore employees obviously don't read the receipt before loading the feed. I'm steaming about that and feel horrible guilt for not being more vigilant, maybe my girl could have made it through the night if she hadn't eaten that poison, and I could have given her the niacin in time to save her.
What a shame about the feed, it certainly didn´t help any. What a good job it hasn´t affected the others the same way! People say anything to you....always good to check it out. But not to lift it, no!!!!
tongue.png

Geese are much happier if they have their own gander. the ganders may squabble a bit, but you´ll have contented females!
You can tell Chinese goslings, as their nares (nostrils) are lower down the bill, which is a slightly different shape to the others´. would love to see a pic...still waiting....
big_smile.png

As one of them is different, maybe you could tell your child that lost his/her gosling that this one needs special attention, being different? Take his/her mind off it a bit?

I am in a panic, my smallest gosling has a hard crop and won't get up, eat, or drink. When I picked her up she was shaking like a leaf, I can see her head shaking now while she is on the ground. In desperation I did syringe a couple mL of olive oil down her and messaged her crop. I know I'm not supposed to do what I did because of her long neck, but she seems to be getting weaker and more lethargic. We don't have avian vets and I don't know who to help her.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I also accidentally posted this same question in the introduction section and don't know if I can remove it. And I intentionally posted in the emergencies section. I'm hoping someone will see the emergency or the gosling post and be able to help me. I'm sorry, I just don't want to lose my baby!
Maybe someone else will be able to help more, but it seems you´ve done what´s possible...keep doing the massage to help her. I hope she´s picked up a bit now.

She is 5 weeKa old, and I'm trying to feed her a mashed hard boiled egg. I do have an antibiotic powder I can add to her water. She hasn't pooped since that one earlier, about 1.5 hr ago or so. Could she still have a blockage?

She is 5 weeKa old, and I'm trying to feed her a mashed hard boiled egg. I do have an antibiotic powder I can add to her water. She hasn't pooped since that one earlier, about 1.5 hr ago or so. Could she still have a blockage?
Yes, sorry, I didn´t remember the thread title with the age there! What have you been feeding her other than the egg? Does she still have a solid gullet?

I have never been able to get water fowl to eat mashed hard boiled egg chicks yes.

Back
Top Bottom