5 week old gosling with hard crop

It was heartbreaking, she would peep at me and so I would offer her water or mushy food out of a glass custard dish. I could see her trying to open her moulth to try and get some and she couldn't. She kept asking for food and water and being unable to get any because of whatever was going on with her neck and cheek muscles.

She did pass quietly though, I laid down with her on my chest and just talked to her like I always do, she kind of sighed and stopped breathing while she was looking at me. I'm going to bury her in my rose garden, she will have beautiful flowers every year.

hugs.gif

I am very upset and am attempting to pull myself together for when the kids get up for school. We couldn't find brewers yeast, both CVS and Walgreens didn't have any and the GNC was closed. We will go to the GNC today to get some for the other geese. Her 5 siblings have been calling and tearing at the door looking for her.

I am very upset and am attempting to pull myself together for when the kids get up for school. We couldn't find brewers yeast, both CVS and Walgreens didn't have any and the GNC was closed. We will go to the GNC today to get some for the other geese. Her 5 siblings have been calling and tearing at the door looking for her.
What a shame you didn´t find any, I think it could have made the difference, but even so she wasn´t strong, and well done to hubby for going out and trying. so frustrating, isn´t it?

Now, you just need to think about the other 5, think positive and enjoy them. don´t stay sad. Photos would be good to see, too. We´re all photo-holics on here.
hugs.gif

2 of my kids are very upset over losing her. One of my kids claimed she was his pet goose and is crying. He was very attached to "Tiny" his nickname for her. But, both have asked if the other geese will die too so I'm very proud of them. My 18 year old is more philosophical about it, saying that it's upsetting but happens and she will help me bury the goose after school.

I am thinking about my remaining babies, I'm pretty sure that 4 are boys and 1 I can't decide if it's a boy or girl. I was leaning toward boy cause its face started to puff out and the neck was thickening, but who knows. But the gosling I just lost I was pretty sure was a girl. She was graceful, had a thin neck, and her face was delicate.

I'm going to need to find a female or 2 for those boys. I believe they were white Chinese geese, but they were sold as assorted. They have blue eyes, and the area were the bill connects to the head looks like it might grow a knob. But I don't know for sure.

2 of my kids are very upset over losing her. One of my kids claimed she was his pet goose and is crying. He was very attached to "Tiny" his nickname for her. But, both have asked if the other geese will die too so I'm very proud of them. My 18 year old is more philosophical about it, saying that it's upsetting but happens and she will help me bury the goose after school.

I am thinking about my remaining babies, I'm pretty sure that 4 are boys and 1 I can't decide if it's a boy or girl. I was leaning toward boy cause its face started to puff out and the neck was thickening, but who knows. But the gosling I just lost I was pretty sure was a girl. She was graceful, had a thin neck, and her face was delicate.

I'm going to need to find a female or 2 for those boys. I believe they were white Chinese geese, but they were sold as assorted. They have blue eyes, and the area were the bill connects to the head looks like it might grow a knob. But I don't know for sure.
Yes, it´s a learning curve for the children, too. My youngest is 17 now, and to him now it´s just a part of life. actually, I believe the heartaches he and his older sisters experienced over losing pets kind of helped them deal a bit better with the death of their grandfather. And we have to learn to keep on with the living.

Your goslings sound pretty. Time will tell on the sexes. They´ll grow their knobs and you´ll,know. Geese need to be in pairs, though,so you may be getting a few more!
lol.png
Would love to see pics of them. Enjoy your goslings, sounds like they´ve found a good home with you guys.

I contacted GNC, they don't open for another hour but this nice guy answered the phone anyway. He is holding is last 2 bottles of brewers yeast for me. 1 is a 500mG tablet the other is a powder form. I will be there when they open to pick it up.

I also double checked our turkey starter, it was medicated! I specifically said non-medicated and the lady say the only sell non-medicated. I'm taking the unopened bag back to show her she is wrong. The medicine could have contributed to my goslings death. The first bag was non-medicated and then we purchased 2 more and just opened and started using the 1 of the new bag 5 days ago. I think there is a connection. Is she was niacin deficient and eating medicated feed that would kill any goose.

I buried my girl this morning under a rose bush with lots of buds. Then I took the others out for grazing, they stayed much closer to me this morning and were telling me they are upset at the loss of their sister. Jasper, my lap gosling climbed in my lab, then all the others tried to join him! We had a snuggle/comfort session then they settled down to the very serious business of eating, lol. I was also looking at them very closely, checking if any others were showing signs of illness from the feed or vitamin defiency and I noticed 1 doesnt look like the others. His feet and bill are whiter, his bill is smooth with no bumps on top, and he peeps differently. So I think he might be a different breed of white goose than the other 4.

I know geese need pairs or trios at most with 1 gander to 1 or 2 females, I will get them mates. And I will ensure that they get their vitamins and the proper feed. I'll load the dang bag myself (I'm not supposed to lift heavy weights because I have metal holding my spine together). But the feedstore employees obviously don't read the receipt before loading the feed. I'm steaming about that and feel horrible guilt for not being more vigilant, maybe my girl could have made it through the night if she hadn't eaten that poison, and I could have given her the niacin in time to save her.

I contacted GNC, they don't open for another hour but this nice guy answered the phone anyway. He is holding is last 2 bottles of brewers yeast for me. 1 is a 500mG tablet the other is a powder form. I will be there when they open to pick it up.

I also double checked our turkey starter, it was medicated! I specifically said non-medicated and the lady say the only sell non-medicated. I'm taking the unopened bag back to show her she is wrong. The medicine could have contributed to my goslings death. The first bag was non-medicated and then we purchased 2 more and just opened and started using the 1 of the new bag 5 days ago. I think there is a connection. Is she was niacin deficient and eating medicated feed that would kill any goose.

I buried my girl this morning under a rose bush with lots of buds. Then I took the others out for grazing, they stayed much closer to me this morning and were telling me they are upset at the loss of their sister. Jasper, my lap gosling climbed in my lab, then all the others tried to join him! We had a snuggle/comfort session then they settled down to the very serious business of eating, lol. I was also looking at them very closely, checking if any others were showing signs of illness from the feed or vitamin defiency and I noticed 1 doesnt look like the others. His feet and bill are whiter, his bill is smooth with no bumps on top, and he peeps differently. So I think he might be a different breed of white goose than the other 4.

I know geese need pairs or trios at most with 1 gander to 1 or 2 females, I will get them mates. And I will ensure that they get their vitamins and the proper feed. I'll load the dang bag myself (I'm not supposed to lift heavy weights because I have metal holding my spine together). But the feedstore employees obviously don't read the receipt before loading the feed. I'm steaming about that and feel horrible guilt for not being more vigilant, maybe my girl could have made it through the night if she hadn't eaten that poison, and I could have given her the niacin in time to save her.
What a shame about the feed, it certainly didn´t help any. What a good job it hasn´t affected the others the same way! People say anything to you....always good to check it out. But not to lift it, no!!!!
tongue.png

Geese are much happier if they have their own gander. the ganders may squabble a bit, but you´ll have contented females!
You can tell Chinese goslings, as their nares (nostrils) are lower down the bill, which is a slightly different shape to the others´. would love to see a pic...still waiting....
big_smile.png

As one of them is different, maybe you could tell your child that lost his/her gosling that this one needs special attention, being different? Take his/her mind off it a bit?

Back
Top Bottom