5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

who did your get your silkies from? if love to look into them! they look very nice compared to mine....especially the foot feathering and crest!

I got them from BYC member mbrobbins. The chicks are gorgeous! I couldn't be happier with them. She has a listing open.

This is called "cross beak." There are several threads on this site about it. Only time will tell how severe it will be.

I thought that crossed beak chicks start out mildly crossed and then with age tend to cross worse. Do not stress too much though, I had a severely cross beaked hen who was just fine. I had a 1/2 Gal. milk jug w/ a hole cut in it that I keep full along with the hanging type feeders. She eat out of both, but I wanedt to be sure she had a nice deep dish incase she was not able to fill up at the hangers. It was sad to watch her try to pic up small treats off the ground however, so I would feed her small treats from my cupped hands. For about every 8 pecks she would have one successful peck. She was great at getting fat fluffy chucks of bread off the ground, and no other bird EVER tried to steal her food! She was a great layer and momma. I did get rid of her because she was quite mean to all new birds which was causing problems for my small flock. That bird never let her beak get in her way. Hopefully she will have a long and happy hen life. I do have a few pics. of her on my homepage, but she looks bad due to her molting, Good luck with your baby!

Rosanne Barr has been sitting for 22 days. And the first chick,
awwww congrats
clap.gif

Real quick question...

The baby I had to help, and that had it's umbilical still attached...should I leave it in the incubator until the piece that is there falls off? It's a round dried up ball, but still attached to its bum. I was worried the other chicks might peck at it, pulling it off and making it bleed? Baby is active and getting around just fine, and peeping really loudly...I hate that its all alone, but don't want to put it with its siblings too early, causing harm to come to it.

The one I had to assist is the same way. I placed a shoe box in the brooder to keep it separated from the others, I had one more hatch after the assisted one so I have those 2 together in the shoe box, they are doing great together.

Back
Top Bottom