Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
It's that time of year again!!
woot.gif

At noon on December 11, 2013 (local time), people all over the world will be setting eggs with the goal to hatch out hundreds of cute little fuzz-butts all on the same day: New Year's Day 2014!

We'll be updating this post and thread with more information, but we wanted to start the thread early since now's the time to star preparing!

So, subscribe to this thread, add it to your bookmarks, and check back for more details!!

celebrate.gif

We'll also be listing some contests & prizes soon!

Click here to fill out Member Survey

Survey results

Hatch Participants:

@abmaddox1981
@acemario
@AK FLOCK SWAP
@alisar
@All Henned Up
@Aphrael
@Avlana
@Bama1
@bantambury
@billyb
@Blarneyeggs
@Bluetick340
@brahmabreeder
@briansnarr
@Brookhavens
@bugglesmommy
@CackleJoy
@Canieldonrad
@carriebain
@champer
@Chase Family
@chickee
@Chickencame1st
@ChickenCanoe
@ChickenDoodleMI
@chickengirl1193
@chickengirlsTN
@Chicken Happy
@chicken farmer
@chickenlover28
@chickenman80
@chickensnewtome
@chicken pickin
@ckkat
@ClareD
@ctfeathers
@chickydee64
@ClucksnDucksMI
@ChristaK
@cluckcluckluke
@coopsbyty
@Cynthia12
@DMyers764
@draye
@EggieRowe
@Elliemae 77
@ESofVA
@Esti
@faerieannette
@fallenangel79
@farmerboy1998
@FeyRaine
@FinaC
@fosterson
@Frost Homestead
@GAGE
@gander007
@Gardeningmama
@GerbilsOnToast
@gryeyes
@Henry wwf
@highaltitudehen
@insanity
@itsbob
@JDchicks
@JLaw
@jlynnet
@Kalalyn21
@kara1015
@KimberlyK0509
@knightie
@LearningChicken
@lizzybaxter
@Lynn Landeau
@Lrkel
@mamahomestead
@marmca
@michaelf
@midwayfarms
@mlongworth
@MMGerlinger
@mmorgan79936
@MontanaDolphin
@msladyhawke
@mspj
@mstricer
@Myfourladies
@Nancy Jones
@Nicky-the-witch
@Nonyah Biz
@Nuclear Chickens
@Penny Hen
@omaeve
@OrpObsessed
@pamygh
@Pozees
@Pyxis
@Quail lover 100
@rochelle1021
@ronniewayne
@roostercluck
@roostereggs
@Rogue
@sandman221
@seventreesfarm
@silly4buttons
@scotter
@ShayBaby
@SilkieSensation
@SoManyHats
@starlingsbaby
@Summerlove
@SunnySkies
@supermom1185
@tadpole98
@TCchickengirl
@Threedog
@TMNfarm
@WindDancer
@Wisher1000
@Whoops
@Wunjo
@Zac211

Place to find hatching eggs:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/754060/the-new-crazy-24hr-auction-thread

Set Dates for Poultry:

Muscovy (35 days) - 11/27/12
Goose (31 days) - 12/1/12
Duck, Turkey, Pheasant (28 days) - 12/4/12
Guinea Fowl (26 days) - 12/6/12
Chicken (21 days) - 12/11/12
Coturnix Quail (18 days) - 12/14/12

Some dates are getting close!

Duck Hatching Tips!

http://www.duckhealth.com/hatcduck.html

Still Air Incubator Tips!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chookschicks-incubation-cheat-sheet

Hatching tips from Sally Sunshine and chickencanoe!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/technote.html

http://www.natureform.com/kb/newArticles/12.html

http://www.natureform.com/kb/newArticles/4.html

http://www.natureform.com/kb/newArticles/8.html

Air Cell Charts:

Duck

Chicken:

Incubation time explanation:

Originally Posted by Brookhavens

Whatever day of the week you set your eggs on is the same day you can expect them to start hatching. (Sometimes earlier. Sometimes later.) We will set our chicken eggs at 12:00pm on Wednesday, Dec. 11th so our hatch day (Day 21) is Wednesday, Jan 1st. Another way to look at it is in hours. Wednesday, 12/11 at 12pm(noon) is 0 hours. 12/12 at 12am is 12 hours and 12pm (noon) on 12/12 is 24 hours. 24 hours = 1 day or Day 1 of incubation. When you read or hear "lock down or stop turning" on Day 18 it means after the full 24 hours of Day 18 has gone by you stop turning. So that would mean that Day 18 ends on Sunday 12/29 @11:59am. Day 19 starts @ 12:00pm (noon) Sunday and lockdown begins. Day 20 starts @ 12pm(noon) on Monday and Day 21 starts @ 12pm(noon) on Tuesday and ends on Wednesday @11:59am. So on Wednesday at 11:59am you have had 21 days (each consisting of 24 hours) of full development.

How to clean your incubator:
Originally Posted by ChickenCanoe

If it is new, you can just use some liquid detergent. But DO NOT get any water on the thermostat or any other electronics.

If it's used, I would use Lysol or spray a dilute chlorox solution.

Whatever you use, rinse it well and some people put it in the sun to dry. That might not be an option this time of year.
Again, Keep the electronics dry.

Someone in this thread recommends using peroxide.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/138943/disinfecting-an-incubator

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/331442/how-do-you-clean-your-styrofoam-incubator
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/359793/best-way-to-clean-styrofoam-incubator

Contests:

1. Best Hatch Rate
First Prize: English BBS Orpington Hatching eggs
(Courtesy of @chickydee64 )

Second Prize: BYC 2014 Calendar

For this contest during this hatch,
participants will need to be setting a minimum of 6 eggs, with confirmation picture posted to this thread on set day
These can be under broodies or in your incubators. Tell us how many you will have cooking and then don't go back and edit your post where you tell us how many eggs you start with. We'll need that info
by the 3rd of Jan at the latest
to be included in the contest. When the hatch is over,
you'll take a pic and post it to show us how many
you actually hatched. The picture must be of sufficient quality to count all the chicks.
In the event of a tie, the one who hatches the most chicks wins.

2. Best Hatch a Long Participant
Prize: BYC Calendar

Open to hatch a long members except Hatch a long administrators. Send a PM to @ronott1 after the hatch is over with the name and reason for the nomination. Winner will be announced during the first week after the hatch.

3. Cutest Chick Hatched
First Prize: Golden Feather Membership
Second Prize: BYC Calendar

Open to all hatch a long members except Hatch a long Administrators. Post baby pictures in thread and we will vote on them.

Contest open! Post you pictures here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/846149/fifth-annual-byc-nyd-hatch-a-long-cutest-chick-contest

4. Random Post Contest Closed
Prize: 12 mystery eggs donated by @msladyhawke Winner announced for post 2314 @tadpole98

Open to hatch a long members except Hatch a long administrators. A post number has been selected. The first hatch a long member to post on or after the number is the winner! A backup post number has been selected to be awarded if the winner declines the prize.

5. Number of egg set for Hatch a Long Closed
Prize: 9 Black Penedesenca Hatching eggs donated by @ChickenCanoe

Click on the link and post your guess for the total number of eggs set. The contest is open from now until Midnight Tuesday the 10th. Winner will be announced by Friday. Open to all BYC Members.

Eggs Set as reported: 1637
Winner: Chickenboy190 with a guess of 1594

6. Random Post contest II
Prize: 1 dozen Mystery eggs donated by @chicken pickin

Open to hatch a long members except Hatch a long administrators. A post number has been selected. The first hatch a long member to post on or after the number is the winner! A backup post number has been selected to be awarded if the winner declines the prize.

7. Worst Hatch Rate
Prize: Line Drawing of the chicken of your choice! (Courtesy of @bantambury )

For this contest during this hatch,
participants will need to be setting a minimum of 6 eggs, with confirmation picture posted to this thread
These can be under broodies or in your incubators.Tell us how many you set and then let us know how many hatched(or did not hatch....) We'll need that info
by the 3rd of Jan at the latest
to be included in the contest. The picture must be of sufficient quality to count all the chicks.
In the event of a tie, the one who set the most chicks wins.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
That may be correct in what your saying. But from my understanding an F1 OE is any Blue egg layer x Dark Brown egg layer. The most common cross is Amerauncana x BCM. But that isn't the only cross. People even use green egg layers x dark brown egg layers still creating an F1 OE. Just because one of the parents is a mixed breed and lays color eggs that doesn't make the parent the F1 and offspring F2. Again I have limited knowledge but this is what I get from reading through about Olive Eggers. And yes my pullets mother chicken is a Hatchery EE not Ameraucana. I do also have Legbars but no plans to cross them to the BCMs.
From what I understand no pure breed lays a green egg. So any that have a green would be an f1 or brown egg layer in it's past making it not a pure breed so an ee. Now it could be a project bird trying to get a different color in which case you would be tryign to get back to blue egg not leave it green. I could be wrong here I just cant find anything but ee's that lay a green egg. I guess if you didn't breed the green egg layer and you bought it then crossed with dark brown it would be an f1. I guess it depends on where you want to start the project at. For me my green egg layers would be F1's cause I'm takeing a pure blue gene bird and mixing with light brown to make the green egg off spring. Now if I sold the green egg layer and they breed it to another brown dark or light they could say they're off spring is a F1 also because it's they're first time breeding it. But if I did that it would be an F2. This is why I consider EE's an F# already because someone mixed a pure with something else to get that off spring even if the buyer didn't. Once again I'm new to chickens so my thinking could be backwords. This is the egg chart I have from online that I was using as a guide for breeding the olive eggers. Now you could use an green egg, easter egger and put it where the blue egg is on right side of pic and then your f1 would be in between the F1 and f2 on that side since your project would start darker.
I started to stay out of this, but I thought I might be able to help both of you. Let's first get on the same page with our terms. F1 (generation 1) = the offspring of the first deliberate mating in a line with an end result in mind. This can be any pure breed that crosses lines or even an established line where a particular change or goal is sought. It also includes crossing different breeds and even "barnyard mixes" if you are starting a structured breeding project. F2 (generation 2) = the offspring of an F1 and any other bird that progresses the line toward the intended goal. EE (Easter Egger) = any bird of any breed or cross of breeds that lays a tinted egg. This is a general term and not a breed. It usually refers to birds that lay blue or green eggs, but there are many other colors, tints, etc. included in the very broad term. I have had Ameraucana crosses that layed tan, pink, yellowish, creamy, blue, and many shades of green or blue/green. They were all EE's. OE (Olive Eggers) = any bird which lays an olive green egg or is being used in a project to produce a bird that lays olive green eggs. Now, if someone says they have an F2 OE, all that tells you is that they are on their second generation of breeding to get olive green eggs. That's all it means. Hopefully, the eggs laid by that hen will have a darker green color than the egg she came out of, but the proof will be in the eggs produced. If they are not dark enough for the 'breeders' taste, then that F2 would likely be bred back to a BCM or other dark brown egg laying bird for an even darker olive green egg in F3. Clear as mud?

Last edited:
Boiling water BAD

I've had a vet say freezing is kindest for reptiles. When a person dies of hypothermia (cold) they feel cold at first, but then they start to feel warm and get silly/giddy so that is apparently a non-painful way to go for per the vet for 14ft python snake that needed euthanasia and per some human medical folks apparently a not too bad way to go as a human (after the initial cold part of course). <shrug> of course I can't _personally_ say on that method but if the zip lock method is not something you could do, perhaps your freezer could be a better alternative than the horror of vinegar&soda. But if you (or anyone) is going to hatch chicks the reality is you do need a plan/method b/c some chicks that hatch are simply not OK not going to make it & are suffering. I understand you are not an adult so you might well need an adult to partner w/ you as a plan in case this issue comes up. But everyone on the hatchalong, hard as it is, does need to have a plan just in case. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. It is not something you want to try to figure out in the emotional moment of trying to make the decision to cull, you need to have the method planned in advance, then hopefully you won't even need to ever think about it again (or do it).

Bantambury you will "kill" a farm animal if you stay in agriculture. You will be tired or mad or distracted and miss a critical clue until it is too late to remedy it. Just accept that it will happen and forgive yourself when it does and try not to make the same mistake. I lost a pregnant ewe when she bloated and even though I tubed her and drenched her it wouldn't stop the bloat. She swelled so much it stopped her heart. I gave her CPR and revived her for half a minute and then lost her for good. It was an hour later when I remembered how to save her by puncturing her stomach and letting the air out. You might kill her doing that with a pocket knife but she was dying anyway and their was a chance at survival but I couldn't think of it in the heat of the moment.

While I was taking chemotherapy I had a dog attack an Angora goat of mine. I doctored him up but I missed a cut under his long fiber and it went septic and I lost him. I had my arms full and was headed to the door one day when a kitten darted underfoot and I stepped on his head. It was immediately obvious that he was terminally injured. He was a tiny kitten, his head no bigger than a tiny tangerine. I had been a soldier so I thought I could use the technique used to break a rabbits neck to quickly finish the kitten. I had never tried it before but I thought that a kitten would be easier than a rabbit. It failed horribly leaving the kitten in what looked like an epileptic fit. I finally drowned it in order not to cause it more pain. For small creatures that remains my preferred method for once a person is past the fighting for air part it becomes euphoric. I am making an assumption that it is the same for animals. For a larger animal like a dog or sheep a bullet through the ear or from below through the jawbones straight into the brain. Don't ever shoot a sheep or cow between the eyes. Some of them have thick enough skulls to bounce the bullet back at you.

That said I had a ram that had a stroke and couldn't walk. I fed him and watered him and cleaned him up for a week. He realized that he was not going to be able to recover and he quit eating. He was such a loving creature. He once entered the house and lay down on the couch to watch Saturday morning cartoons with my daughter. I could not bring myself to shoot him. It was winter though and I decided that he was not going to die cold. It was the third day since he had quit eating and I knew that night was going to be his last. It was also going to be cold. I gathered all the old blankets I had and wrapped him 4 inches deep and hooded his head with them. I sat with him for a while and talked to him and sang to him. Each time I would speak he would rouse just a little and answer me with a short bleat. I told him what an awesome ram he had been and how I had enjoyed his company for the years I had him. I thanked him for his lambs that he left me with to carry on. At last I was cold and checking him one last time to see that he was warm I went inside for the night. In the morning I checked on him and he was gone. I slipped my hand underneath the blankets and he was still warm. He had died warm knowing that he was loved.

All life on this earth is born out of death. All things must consume something whether it be plant life or animal life to continue. We must have the courage to face that truth and come to terms with the life we consume and respect and love it. Fleeing from it leads to denial and a separation of from the lifeforms that feed us. After that a guilty contempt creeps in for other lifeforms. In some people they separate themselves from the reality so far as to believe that meat and milk magically appear at the grocery stores. We, who heed the Call to be stewards of these lifeforms both plant and animal, must work to reconnect others to there source of sustenance. But first we must come to terms with it ourselves then we can teach others how to love and respect the lifeforms that keep us living.

I have come to the conclusion that all you can do is the best you can do at the moment under what ever circumstances exist. Each death has taught me a lesson

help with wrong end pipper... this is my second wrong end pipper... the 1st I did not intervene and it did not make it. this one there was a tear in membrane so I enlarged it 14 hrs ago so she could breathe... it is now 14 hrs later and she has not made progress.. do I leave her alone or help. I've been reading Sally sunshines post for assisting but bit sure if I should chip egg she'll away. chuck us same ... the little hole I made us allowing her to breathe but I'm afraid she may dry out in egg... what's should be my next step? thank you!!!!

The egg above, pipped at the wrong end.

I wet the white membrane, look closely, you can see the little hole
it pipped. Note, it is in the middle of the egg now. If I hadn't
opened it, helped, it would have suffocated. It tried to turn, but
ended up in the middle of the egg. You will find chipping the egg
shell back a little at a time is pretty easy. Just to the first white
membrane.

Above, down to the next membrane..there are three. A lot of
blood, so will leave it until it absorbs more, probably will take a
day. I clear all of the membrane away from the beak/nostrils.

Finally, got to take the head out. Yolk is absorbed, but, not
the blood all the way yet.

I pull up the legs into the front..slowly, gently, so as to have them
line up, no splayed leg. :) Do this carefully, don't pull their bottom
up from the shell, that's where there is still a lot of blood to absorb.

Hanging out with one of the three I had pip at the wrong end.

Baby all fluffed out. :)

When do you start counting days? Is set day, day 1 or is the next day, day 1?

I have heard that if you set in the am count that as day 1, if set in the pm the next day is day 1. With the NYD hatch starting at noon on 12/11 would the 12th actually be day 1 or day 2?
Whatever day of the week you set your eggs on is the same day you can expect them to start hatching. (Sometimes earlier. Sometimes later.) We will set our chicken eggs at 12:00pm on Wednesday, Dec. 11th so our hatch day (Day 21) is Wednesday, Jan 1st. Another way to look at it is in hours. Wednesday, 12/11 at 12pm(noon) is 0 hours. 12/12 at 12am is 12 hours and 12pm (noon) on 12/12 is 24 hours. 24 hours = 1 day or Day 1 of incubation. When you read or hear "lock down or stop turning" on Day 18 it means after the full 24 hours of Day 18 has gone by you stop turning. So that would mean that Day 18 ends on Sunday 12/29 @11:59am. Day 19 starts @ 12:00pm (noon) Sunday and lockdown begins. Day 20 starts @ 12pm(noon) on Monday and Day 21 starts @ 12pm(noon) on Tuesday and ends on Wednesday @11:59am. So on Wednesday at 11:59am you have had 21 days (each consisting of 24 hours) of full development.

LL

Ok, no one is talking, I may as well go on! Ok, so, have to share. Check out what Pawtraitart has invented. I was sent one to give feedback while they got things in order for it to be all there idea..patent. No leaking water into the brooder! So, no wet shavings! No poop in the water either.
LL
LL

Comes with a bracket as well. If this looks like something you might like, shoot her a pm. :)

Last edited:
I wanted a white egg layer and dreamer on here said she needed help with silver campiness so I decided to try some of those. they are small but lay a large egg and some say not so flighty as the leghorn. time will tell I think they are neat looking birds and will be fun to try to start where we are and improve the breed :) I will be getting some in march.
jumpy.gif

I could just as easily be known as "Dreamer"!

I have a dream! I dream that my little chickens will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their feathers, but by the strength of their chalazae. I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the owners of former hatchery birds and the owners of heritage birds will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood. I dream of a world where a hen can cross the road, and not have her motives questioned.

Last edited:
I am in but I don't know what type of chicken any suggestion. I already have silkies and easter eggers

Orpingtons are the very best chickens out there. Just sayin.

You should think about what you intend to do with your chickens...are they for eggs? Maybe a prolific layer is what you want, leghorn or golden comet. Are you going to eat your extra cockerels after hatch? ~then look at breeds that bulk up quickly. If you're interested in a beautiful egg basket, Marans are a good breed to mix in with EEs, you get the dark chocolate brown eggs and can use your Marans cockerel to cover your EE and make Olive Eggers. If you intend to show, contact someone who shows so you can get a good start. If you're delighted with the breeds you have, possibly adding another variety is what is best for you. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom