5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Quote: Thank You! My sentiments exactly!

Mstricer, no yucky eggs for me...I use this time to patronize the local egg farmers, I need to do so anyway for the next 3 weeks as we are worming.

I was buying from the Amish before, but went over one time to get eggs for hatching for a neighbor and asked how old their eggs were and they said Ohhh about 3 weeks, well I said no thanks and thought twice about getting eggs from them again. I'm getting like 2 to 4 a week and the only ones giving me eggs is one Lavender AM and my BR's everyone else is slacking

I was buying from the Amish before, but went over one time to get eggs for hatching for a neighbor and asked how old their eggs were and they said Ohhh about 3 weeks, well I said no thanks and thought twice about getting eggs from them again. I'm getting like 2 to 4 a week and the only ones giving me eggs is one Lavender AM and my BR's everyone else is slacking

I do not know of any Amish here. I have seen some Menonites though.

I am getting eggs--one pen has a light on a timer.

I have moved my Amelias(Cream Legbar X Crele Penedesenca) into a breeding pen. I hope they keep on laying so that I can get lots of eggs to hatch for NYD from them!

Last edited:
I am in but I don't know what type of chicken any suggestion. I already have silkies and easter eggers

Orpingtons are the very best chickens out there. Just sayin.

You should think about what you intend to do with your chickens...are they for eggs? Maybe a prolific layer is what you want, leghorn or golden comet. Are you going to eat your extra cockerels after hatch? ~then look at breeds that bulk up quickly. If you're interested in a beautiful egg basket, Marans are a good breed to mix in with EEs, you get the dark chocolate brown eggs and can use your Marans cockerel to cover your EE and make Olive Eggers. If you intend to show, contact someone who shows so you can get a good start. If you're delighted with the breeds you have, possibly adding another variety is what is best for you. Good luck!

I am in but I don't know what type of chicken any suggestion. I already have silkies and easter eggers
Welcome!

I have added you to the Hatch a Long!

Orpingtons are the very best chickens out there. Just sayin.

You should think about what you intend to do with your chickens...are they for eggs? Maybe a prolific layer is what you want, leghorn or golden comet. Are you going to eat your extra cockerels after hatch? ~then look at breeds that bulk up quickly. If you're interested in a beautiful egg basket, Marans are a good breed to mix in with EEs, you get the dark chocolate brown eggs and can use your Marans cockerel to cover your EE and make Olive Eggers. If you intend to show, contact someone who shows so you can get a good start. If you're delighted with the breeds you have, possibly adding another variety is what is best for you. Good luck!
This is a great post!

I will be joining. I will be hatching hybrids. The roo's will be RIR, an EE and a Brahma. The hens are 2 white leghorn, 1 brown leghorn, and 7 golden stars. Will set around 30 eggs in a hovabator. Would love to set a few frizzles if I can find any by then.

Last edited:
I will be joining. I will be hatching hybrids. The roo's will be RIR, an EE and a Brahma. The hens are 2 white leghorn, 1 brown leghorn, and 7 golden stars. Will set around 30 eggs in a hovabator. Would love to set a few frizzles if I can find any by then.

Great News!

Send a PM to @chiqita She may not have any now but should know where you can get some hatching eggs.

I will add you to the Participants section of the first post.

I'm lining up my eggs and plan to have some shipped....setting on a Wednesday will make things difficult. Should I have the eggs shipped out that Monday? Or have them shipped the week before and:confused: sit over the weekend....oh boy.:confused:

Surprise eggs sound fun!! I'm going to have to get eggs from somewhere as all of my girls seem to be on strike... >:-(

What I REALLY want is turke eggs!
They are not laying yet. THey might start in december, but My Royal Palms are not even thinking about anything. Of course Cranberries is strutting, but thats just for show. The wild turkeys are still with thier babies from last year, even. If they start laying ill give you a yell. Celery should be ready to lay this season as well as pumpkins.

I'm lining up my eggs and plan to have some shipped....setting on a Wednesday will make things difficult. Should I have the eggs shipped out that Monday? Or have them shipped the week before and:confused: sit over the weekend....oh boy.
hu.gif
Ship them as late as possible. every day older on shipped eggs is bad, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom