5th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2014 Hatch-A-Long

Waiting for eggs to fall into my empty bators. Between cutting my flocks for winter, cutting again to move twice in 5 weeks, & losses due to weather & the stress of the moves I'm down to about 15% of my birds left. I need to get hatching to replenish my flock.

I hope you get your flock built back up soon.

Waiting for eggs to fall into my empty bators. Between cutting my flocks for winter, cutting again to move twice in 5 weeks, & losses due to weather & the stress of the moves I'm down to about 15% of my birds left. I need to get hatching to replenish my flock.

I hope you get your flock built back up soon.

Me too. A friend is sending me eggs this week so I can check fertility for her.

On the sex-link barring topic.
I read the page, very helpful, & I'm pretty sure the answer to my question is "no telling till they crow/lay" but gotta ask.

On the late set eggs that hatched around jan10 I have 3 that were
CL roo over EE (mixed mutts, not even sure which of my layers was the mom, the dad was an EE roo w/ some game cock & some Jap. & ?)
these mixed EE girls both lay green eggs, one bird is 100% black including her almost non-existent comb, the other is black w/ a gold neck collar and looks like she should be a cock, kept me guessing *forever* but she does lay nice eggs now ;>

So, the 3 chicks are getting their feathers, they all started out black fluff, and the feathers appeared black at first, but in good light they now show some very faint barring, not white more like charcoal grey but you don't really even see it from a distance you have to look close to notice.

Does that tell me anything re: gender?
I'd rather not have 6 months of guessing on these if I can avoid it....Thanks!

WOW, we are definitely addicts. Should be going into lockdown in two days.

I go into lockdown on Thurs
big_smile.png

I read the page, very helpful, & I'm pretty sure the answer to my question is "no telling till they crow/lay" but gotta ask.

CL roo over EE (mixed mutts, not even sure which of my layers was the mom, the dad was an EE roo w/ some game cock & some Jap. & ?)
these mixed EE girls both lay green eggs, one bird is 100% black including her almost non-existent comb, the other is black w/ a gold neck collar and looks like she should be a cock, kept me guessing *forever* but she does lay nice eggs now ;>

So, the 3 chicks are getting their feathers, they all started out black fluff, and the feathers appeared black at first, but in good light they now show some very faint barring, not white more like charcoal grey but you don't really even see it from a distance you have to look close to notice.

It would not take 6 months!

Go here and see. Post pictures.https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/825092/cream-legbar-hybrid-thread/870#post_12768600

Cream Legbars are often auto sexing when crossed for the first generation.

I don't believe a CL roos crossed to EE hens would create any type of sexlink. All 3 will likely have 1 copy of the barring gene do to the CL roo but that wont be gender specific.

I do agree though with ron, please post your cross on the Cream Legbar Hybrid thread. There is lots of great info and pics there.

OK thanks ya'll, I thought that was the case but then again worth checking w/ those who might know something I missed.

I have the 1 pure CL & then 6 CL crosses from the NYDH plus the 2 groups of late sets and it is pretty interesting to see them developing.
I know I gotta do pictures , but we've had some laptops going belly up issues so pictures haven't been possible during the fluffy phases
but I think in the next day or 2 I can get everything worked out for photos & then I'll have some neat ones to post on that thread :)

I know it *shouldn't* take 6 months, but I'll get a photo of the 1 EE gal. she even fooled my H BR Roo I kid you not, he kept trying to run her away from the other EE pullet and acted like she was a cockerel, & I had 3 other human friends totally perplexed by her w/in wks of her laying -- in fact one of those humans stood in the yard chatting w/ me and in the space of an hour pronounced her "nice roo", "oh no I guess a pullet" and finally "well, no definately a boy" ;> gotta love those EE birds. Both of these 2 have been laying GREAT, even though these "polar votex" crazy weather that put my hens back off laying these 2 EE pullets have been giving me about 10 eggs/week!! Which is why I'm so keen to figure out if the black chicks from them are pullets b/c if so I'm keeping them for the layer flock for sure!

Back
Top Bottom