5th chick dying in my hands right now - help!

Quote:
Testing by necropsy in CA is free, the blood test is less than $10 and tests for mycoplasma (MG, MS) and a few other things. As far as not saying anything about the store, I'm well past that and most people would be if they went there and saw the peafowl and turkeys with the nasty respiratory infections. Like the OP, they have been dealing with it for about a year... Birds get sick, they treat with Tylan, birds get better and then relapse. Respiratory diseases aren't the only problem they have... I've also seen several with Marek's.

-Kathy

Edited to add:
Now way I'm gonna buy anything from them and risk infecting my flock by bringing it on my property. It's bad enough that I have to buy feed there, lol, just not gonna bring any sick birds home!

Last edited:
Such a sad story, it really brought tears to my eyes. I just can't imagine having to go through it but then to go through it again by writing it all down and basically experiencing it a second time but I do thank you for all the information you have passed out to us. You have made me so much more cautious about the trauma these diseases can cause. I also made my go to list for illnesses/injuries and from your list and thankfully have much of it already for the human flock but will be completing it this weekend when I go to the local costal store. I have decided that I m not going to add to my flock this spring. I am happy with what I have and can't take a chance of losing them, 2 got sick and died shortly after picking them up and I was so scared I would lose them all. It has now been weeks since any runny noses so I hope I am in the clear. Hopefully i will soom get some eggs though they are between 18-22 weeks old.

OMG! Kathy :eek: I would be afraid to even buy feed there! Seems like some kind of inspector could get that shut down :/

Animal control gets called a lot (not by me), but they do nothing, and the State of CA sends someone out, but they not test for the reportable diseases. Sadly the owner thinks they are disease free because they don't understand that the State tester is only testing for a couple of things, which are not MG and MS.

-Kathy

In getting new chickens next year, I would be inclined to order all the chicks at the same time from the same hatchery vaccinated for everything they offer. Because, one ailment can weaken the immune system for another ailment and so on. And I think coccidiosis plays a bigger part in this than people realize. And be aware that some hatcheries have more concern than others.

I know hatcheries bring different opinions on the chicks they provide, but I have to say that the good ones have better screening systems than any lay person would have. And many times with a layperson , one may see facts different than another. Just IMO

I just read this threat from start to finish, wow you have been through so much in the last year you must just be exhausted. I'm so sorry for all of your losses I know how hard it is to cull your entire flock for MG...I've done it.

The whole time I was reading your thread I was thinking "this sounds way too much like MG not to be". Luckily we found out a lot faster than you did and did not have to deal with so many deaths. I think only two went on their own.

We culled and sent in two adult birds for necropsy explaining that we suspected MG. The response was fast and detailed, blood work determined MG. We considered closing our flock and treated with antibiotics while we made up our minds. Eventually we came to the agreement to cull and start over. We took so many things into consideration but one of the huge ones was controlling the disease. The idea that our flock would continue to infect wild birds increasing the possibility of nearby farms being infected. The chance of transmiting the virus on our clothing, shoes, tires, etc, to other people's flocks, the feed store, etc. just seemed wrong. Add that to the desire to breed birds and the knowledge that we would probably lose most eventually anyways and culling really seemed like the best option.

From what I recall MG does not survive long on most surfaces. I believe the longest it survives outside a host is in an egg and that was 6 weeks but I could be mistaken. We cleaned the coop with virkon and left the coop and run empty for three very quiet months.

The day that we culled (35+ birds) was absolutely awful. In the long run I believe it was the right choice and I know that we saved those birds from suffering.

I believe you are doing the right thing and wish you a future flock that is healthy and worry free!

I should also mention that we learned how to draw blood and tested our new flock a few times once they were over the 6 month mark. We are now over a year MG free. Sending in blood samples for specific tests is far less expensive once you figure out tiny chicken veins.

Animal control gets called a lot (not by me), but they do nothing, and the State of CA sends someone out, but they not test for the reportable diseases. Sadly the owner thinks they are disease free because they don't understand that the State tester is only testing for a couple of things, which are not MG and MS.

-Kathy
Oh Kathy, that is so frustrating... :( I know what you mean though. So many people have no idea that "NPIP" doesn't really mean that much, etc. I didn't!

In getting new chickens next year, I would be inclined to order all the chicks at the same time from the same hatchery vaccinated for everything they offer.  Because, one ailment can weaken the immune system for another ailment and so on.  And I think coccidiosis plays a bigger part in this than people realize.  And be aware that some hatcheries have more concern than others.

I know hatcheries bring different opinions on the chicks they provide, but I have to say that the good ones have better screening systems than any lay person would have.  And many times with a layperson , one may see facts different than another.  Just IMO
The new babies are coming next April from Whitmore Farms. Will is excellent. He tests for about everything voluntarily. I couldn't find anyplace else like that with all my googling. If you scroll down on this page you will see what I mean. http://whitmorefarm.com/content/5063

I should also mention that we learned how to draw blood and tested our new flock a few times once they were over the 6 month mark. We are now over a year MG free. Sending in blood samples for specific tests is far less expensive once you figure out tiny chicken veins.
OK, this I need to learn. You know I am going to be a nervous Nelly, LOL! Hubby is in the medical field so I am sure we should be able to figure this out....

Back
Top Bottom