6 week Amaraucana lethargic/runny poop - thoughts on treatment?

cajebrso

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
Dear BYC community - We are new chicken owners - have read many books and posts but when confronted with a sick pullet, we don't have experience to guide us!

We have 4 pullets, ages 6-9 weeks, and have had them for 10 days. They are in an enclosed coop (with enclosed run) outside, so with some access to peck the ground below the pine shavings. They are eating non-medicated starter food, and I have been chopping up ~1/4 c of greens for them each day (and offering chick grit).

This morning all seemed well but this afternoon, the 6 week old (an Ameraucana) was off by herself in the corner of the cage looking lethargic. She also had runny poop (sort of green with white). Later she did join the flock again for some pecking but definitely seemed off for some time. Could this be cocci? Or indigestion?

What would your approach be regarding treatment vs. watch and see? We picked up some electrolytes and probiotics and added to their water. The feed store also recommended adding amoxycillin to their water which we did (planning for a 5-10 days course) - but coming online, I don't see this listed as a very common treatment for this situation.

My question is: what do you think about this treatment plan (amoxycillin with electrolytes/probiotics for 5 days, continue for 10 days if Ameraucana is not better but not worse, switch to Corid if the Ameraucana or any of the other chickens worsen or show symptoms)? OR is the amoxycillin overkill? OR should we go straight to Corid?

Thanks SO much for any suggestions! The girls are asleep and I'm torn about what to have in their water tomorrow.

-Cascade and Matt, Orange County, CA

Still seeking feedback :) Since we weren't convinced about the antibiotic (suggested by feed store but not seeing that corroborated by BYC forum posts), we removed that and are only giving them probiotics/electrolytes currently. The pullet does not seem as lethargic as yesterday but still not up to her usual self. Thoughts on doing a course of Corid just in case? We ordered some to arrive tomorrow so that we will have it on hand. We are also considering switching over to medicated feed - thoughts?

Hi. Sorry you have a sick girl! I don’t think the Corid will hurt anything but it doesn’t seem that they/she have cocci to me.
In the morning before she eats or drinks anything, check her crop. It should be empty in the morning.
Check her vent area (on the skin) for mites/lice/parasites. They will be incredibly small and usually come out at night. Get a good flashlight and possibly a magnifying glass.
Her poop may be green bc of the greens you are feeding her. Watery poop usually occurs when it is hot outside, is it hot where you live now?
Check bottoms of feet for cuts/bumblefoot.
Check breastbone/keel for weight loss.
Check belly (below vent and in between legs), it should feel pliable, not hard or like a filled water balloon.
Any nasal discharge? How does the inside of her mouth look?
See how she is in the morning, you can try and see if she will eat a wet mash of her feed, or a scrambled egg, or some plain yogurt, or canned tuna. You can also dose with a 1cc (1mL) syringe some Nutri-Drench or Rooster Booster.
Let us know!

Thanks so much for these suggestions! We checked for the symptoms mentioned. We did not find any foot issues, crop seemed empty, no parasites detected (we used head lamp and magnifying glass), and no nasal discharge. The weather has gotten cooler - mostly in the 70s now.

The one suggestion that I was not sure how to answer is about her stomach. It is not taut or very bulgy, but the part I can see through the feathers is squishy - maybe a bit like a water balloon. I'm not sure what is normal :)

She is still eating and drinking well (mash + some boiled egg daily). However, she is much more lethargic and puffed up than the other 3 in the flock. She had been roosting at night (1 of 2 that sleeps on the roost) but the last 2 nights she has not slept on the roost.

We cleaned out all the bedding and replaced shavings in coop and run. Today, we started a course of Corid after reading that there are no side effects detected. We went for 1 1/2 tsp in 1 gallon.

If anyone thinks of other things we should try or take a look at (or has thoughts about what a normal chicken tummy looks like), I'd appreciate it!

Thanks so much for these suggestions! We checked for the symptoms mentioned. We did not find any foot issues, crop seemed empty, no parasites detected (we used head lamp and magnifying glass), and no nasal discharge. The weather has gotten cooler - mostly in the 70s now.

The one suggestion that I was not sure how to answer is about her stomach. It is not taut or very bulgy, but the part I can see through the feathers is squishy - maybe a bit like a water balloon. I'm not sure what is normal :)

She is still eating and drinking well (mash + some boiled egg daily). However, she is much more lethargic and puffed up than the other 3 in the flock. She had been roosting at night (1 of 2 that sleeps on the roost) but the last 2 nights she has not slept on the roost.

We cleaned out all the bedding and replaced shavings in coop and run. Today, we started a course of Corid after reading that there are no side effects detected. We went for 1 1/2 tsp in 1 gallon.

If anyone thinks of other things we should try or take a look at (or has thoughts about what a normal chicken tummy looks like), I'd appreciate it!
It can never hurt to treat with Corid. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek’s? That’s my only other idea, she’s too early to lay still, so I don’t think she’d be egg bound.

We are on day 6 of Corid treatment took our Ameraucana Eevee to the vet yesterday. They gave fluids injection, antibiotics (in case of infection, although no respiratory signs), and fecal test (waiting on results). The main symptom now is that she is underweight and not gaining. She is the littlest of the flock. Trying to figure out how to get her to eat more! The others stimulate her to eat when she sees them eating (as if they are mother hens) so moving her to a separate space doesn't seem like a good idea.

Question: how can I get her interested in eating? She will eat the feed but has not eaten chopped boiled eggs, yogurt, or crumbled mealworms.

Hm, eating yet not gaining weight makes me think she has some kind of worm or intestinal parasite. Fecal test will hopefully give you some more info on that.

As far as getting her to eat to gain weight, have you tried making a slurry of her feed and some Nutri-Drench/Rooster Booster/etc? That might entice her. Or you could try cooked oatmeal mixed with feed and/or Nutri-Drench.

Worst case, you can tube feed her. I have no experience with that, but others have posted on how to do it. I actually just located a thread a week or so ago about tube feeding, have a look:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-guide-pictures-under-construction.1064392/

Thank you! I will try the slurry and oatmeal ideas. Also, we got fecal test results, and she does have coccidiosis - seems to be one of the Corid-resistant kinds since she has been on that for 5-6 days. We also have her on the sulfa antibiotic as of yesterday so are hopeful that will help rid her, plus some extra cleaning of the coop to make sure she is not reinfecting herself.

Really appreciate your responses and support, lbgreenfield, as a new chicken owner!

Aw ok. That’s good you got confirmation of cocci from the vet. Fingers crossed the Corid and sulfa treatments work! Good luck with feeding, I would just try a variety of foods and see what she likes. Mine especially like cooked oatmeal, cottage cheese, melons, yogurt, scrambled/HB eggs, bread, waffles, any carb basically haha I’m sure you will find something she will eat that can be mixed with the Nutri-Drench!

And you’re welcome, I was in your shoes 3 years ago and I know the feeling of wishing you could speak chicken!:)

Back
Top Bottom