6 weeks old chicks pullets or cockerel?

Aina

Songster
6 Years
Jun 3, 2015
Oahu hawaii
Hello,
These are the 3 babies from my late Chica! My beloved hen with one eye and one valid leg who eventually get killed my a truck :-(
I was devastated as she went through so much... Decided to try to incubate her last 3 eggs, bought an incubator, turned the eggs 4 times a day... And a miracle happened: 3 out of 3 hatched and are now 6 weeks old...
Chances to get 3 hens out of 3 eggs are pretty dim: 1/8 or 12.5% BUT I have been so lucky already to have all of them hatch that I trust my good star, and my little Chica may help us!
Anyway, I read tons of reviews and get numerous advice as well: tail pointing up is a hen, down is a roo... In that case I'd have one black hen and 2 "yellow" roos... Leg size: hard to tell... Wings down for roos and again that will be only one black hen and 2 roos... Dark band on wing for roos again 2roos/1hen... Comb! Well none have developed a prominent one so far so I am praying they indeed are all pullets!
Chica was brown, and Mr. Roo the father was black... Would that matter?
Anyway, attaching pictures...
Probably will have to be patient and see if they crow... Can't keep a rooster as I live in a residential area... Unless I try again the no-crow collar but looks like torture to me and I gave up on Mr. Roo and eventually

relocated him.
Thank you for your help! My last experience was with silkies... Turned out to be both roosters I found a great home for!
Chica please send us positive energy and let them be hens.... :)

I'm seeing all pullets right now too.

With mixed breeds, the comb color and size is the best indicator. Six weeks is still a little early to call with 100% certainty, but it is a very good sign.

Tail up or down, wings up or down, proves nothing.

Red bar on wings is rooster, but that is a deep red on the wing bows (upper portion of wing)....think like a red-winged Black Bird (only not as bright red).

Congratulations.

LofMc

I'm seeing all pullets right now too.

With mixed breeds, the comb color and size is the best indicator. Six weeks is still a little early to call with 100% certainty, but it is a very good sign.

Tail up or down, wings up or down, proves nothing.

Red bar on wings is rooster, but that is a deep red on the wing bows (upper portion of wing)....think like a red-winged Black Bird (only not as bright red).

Congratulations.

LofMc

X 2 on all points.

Yep theyall look like pullets to me too
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom