6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

The big end up and tilted so that the big part of the air cell is up.
Thanks Ron. I thought that's what ya ment. I think the reason I get around 50% hatch rate is 2 reasons. My temps were a little high making them hatch a day or 2 early so turning them when I shoulda been leaving them be and the earlys moving the pips and not being able to reposition. I'm excited to see if carton hatching will help raise the %

Last edited:
im thinking ill hatch milkshake/malts egg but they are brother and sis and im not sure if ill be able to do this.....what do you think?

I don't know that much about chicken genetics yet. I know that with rabbits, you can very safely breed a bunny back to it's parent no problem, but siblings are a no-no. And with dogs, you want to go one more generation still (so breeding back to a grandparent is okay, but parents and siblings are no good).

Very nice! I supposing that they are bantam sized. I love the crests on them. Is you original hen crested?

So, this is a couple generations of partial crested. They don't get full crests, but somewhere way back there is a polish. I bought my original chickens from a farm north of here. The chicks I bought were from a mixed up free range flock, so there was no telling how they would come out. Many of them ended up having crests. The first year I hatched, I just bred my mixed up bunch of hens with a couple of roos. That landed me a partially crested chicken I named "Fat Chicken". She was partially crested and had muffs. Her daughter is "Baby Fats" (her daddy was our most fav roo who we don't have any more named Ace). The crest seems to be a pretty strong gene. All of Baby Fats' offspring are crested when breeding with a d'Uccle and there is no crest in d'Uccle.

Back
Top Bottom