6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

I am hatching some from my Miss Napoli.

Can't believe its that time again, time to decide if I'm in or out for the NYDH...

pros - ITS FUN, what else am I gonna do (esp. since my sewing machine is belly up & its already snowed here), I NEED more pullets <seriously the DH bought eggs at the store, major farm fail !!, everyone on the hatchalong is GREAT, its always educational, I have friends who have moved to the country *& don't YET have chickens* so can't hatch too many, I'm a candling addict & I haven't candled an egg in months, the "puppies" could use more lessons in baby chicks are not toys, I've done it 2 yrs running now, oh & of course IT LOTS OF FUN ;)

cons - My auto-turner stopped working & my hatch rates are crap w/o it historically (no $ for replacement any time this decade), I only have 1 pullet laying atm (yah yah major farm fail I know),
ummm...DH hates chickens (has eaten 4 DOZEN store bought eggs in the past 10 days), and DH really hates chicks in the house.

sooo, about this lack of hatching eggs problem, how are ya'll doing on getting eggs lined up this year?
& just out of curiosity, anybody in E or Mid TN w/ lots of hens a laying atm??

to incubate or not to incubate, that is the question...

Can't believe its that time again, time to decide if I'm in or out for the NYDH...

pros - ITS FUN, what else am I gonna do (esp. since my sewing machine is belly up & its already snowed here), I NEED more pullets <seriously the DH bought eggs at the store, major farm fail !!, everyone on the hatchalong is GREAT, its always educational, I have friends who have moved to the country *& don't YET have chickens* so can't hatch too many, I'm a candling addict & I haven't candled an egg in months, the "puppies" could use more lessons in baby chicks are not toys, I've done it 2 yrs running now, oh & of course IT LOTS OF FUN ;)

cons - My auto-turner stopped working & my hatch rates are crap w/o it historically (no $ for replacement any time this decade), I only have 1 pullet laying atm (yah yah major farm fail I know),
ummm...DH hates chickens (has eaten 4 DOZEN store bought eggs in the past 10 days), and DH really hates chicks in the house.

sooo, about this lack of hatching eggs problem, how are ya'll doing on getting eggs lined up this year?
& just out of curiosity, anybody in E or Mid TN w/ lots of hens a laying atm??

to incubate or not to incubate, that is the question...

LOL you sound like me. I know I shouldn't hatch eggs as last year I went way overboard with the amount I was hatching. It was a little crazy. I promised DH I wouldn't hatch until the Easter Hatch-a-long. But of course following along with you all and reading what everyone has planned and all this talk about eggs has me with a little less will power than I before this thread started lol.

I shouldn't hatch eggs, I shouldn't hatch eggs, I shouldn't hatch eggs... Ill keep telling myself that. DH definitely will not be happy if I start hatching this soon again
roll.png

Well I like EE's and Naked Necks and am currently crossing them. I am also crossing Polish to EE's. I have a local contact right now. Just trying to same on postage and stuff right now. But, if the price is right who knows.
I raise NN EE. My parent stock are 50% Ameraucana and 50% Turken. :) I love them and I love the eggs too.

Can't believe its that time again, time to decide if I'm in or out for the NYDH... pros - ITS FUN, what else am I gonna do (esp. since my sewing machine is belly up & its already snowed here), I NEED more pullets o it historically (no $ for replacement any time this decade), I only have 1 pullet laying atm (yah yah major farm fail I know), ummm...DH hates chickens (has eaten 4 DOZEN store bought eggs in the past 10 days), and DH really hates chicks in the house. sooo, about this lack of hatching eggs problem, how are ya'll doing on getting eggs lined up this year? & just out of curiosity, anybody in E or Mid TN w/ lots of hens a laying atm?? to incubate or not to incubate, that is the question...
I'm in east TN and my hens are still laying like crazy, but lol I have no roo so it does no good for the hatch along

So I need some eggs....I checked the auction thread and nothing there today. I would like some maran chicks if anyone knows where I can get some. Only want to hatch maybe 4 or 5.....need more room.

Can't believe its that time again, time to decide if I'm in or out for the NYDH... pros - ITS FUN, what else am I gonna do (esp. since my sewing machine is belly up & its already snowed here), I NEED more pullets o it historically (no $ for replacement any time this decade), I only have 1 pullet laying atm (yah yah major farm fail I know), ummm...DH hates chickens (has eaten 4 DOZEN store bought eggs in the past 10 days), and DH really hates chicks in the house. sooo, about this lack of hatching eggs problem, how are ya'll doing on getting eggs lined up this year? & just out of curiosity, anybody in E or Mid TN w/ lots of hens a laying atm?? to incubate or not to incubate, that is the question...

I can get rir and buff orp fertile hatching eggs for $5 dozen plus shipping. I set 35 and 33 look great. They are hatchery quality. The parents of the orps were big and scary looking. I was unable to see the parents of the rirs because they flew on top of the house. I joke around alot but this is a serious ad.

Back
Top Bottom