7 ft. 2 in. x 7 ft. 6 in. Resin shed coop conversion

Hi, I've used all kinds of screws to fasten the roosts and the nest boxes- for the most part, I've used self drilling screws with wide threads. I've reconfigured the roosts 4 or 5 times, so there are holes here and there where the roost used to be. I used face mount joist hanging brackets and 2x4s that sit so the hens sit on the width of the 2x4.

I have hardware cloth permanently attached to the windows- I removed the plexiglass panes. In the winter, the windows are covered with plywood. The shed does get hot in the summer, so my husband installed an attic fan in the vent above the double doors, and I leave the door open when it is very hot. We have fencing around the coop that has netting above it, so as long as it is daylight I can leave the door open.

The run is not screwed to the shed, just right up against it. We have expanded it in the last year. The 4x4s are set in metal post holders that are 24" deep.

I had put linoleum on the floor, but it did not work out very well, and I've been pulling it up.

Thanks! The resin shed was an affordable solution for us, though I would love to have a wooden coop. We do not have the time to build one and these days it would require my husband to help me. He would do it, but there is very little time for this kind of construction!

Let me know how it is working for you! And please post some photos. I would love to see them. I have made some changes, and will try to post them soon.
I am going to try and do it without a lot of changes, was thinking a ladder roost since mine are used to being close to the ground in their current coop, the tray is right under the bars. I like the resin for cleaning factors and this one comes with a floor but I plan to put automotive coushioned liner down for them to prevent bumble foot. thinking it would be wise to move the current coop in there until they get used to biger surroundings

What a great idea! I am going back and forth on how to separate our large backyard flock hens from our little breeding Old English Game birds and you really have some creative ideas!!! Thank you!!!!! I was wondering about the screws myself!

What a great idea! I am going back and forth on how to separate our large backyard flock hens from our little breeding Old English Game birds and you really have some creative ideas!!! Thank you!!!!! I was wondering about the screws myself!
I can't tell you how many times I've changed the configuration of the coop! I tried doing deep litter - but even when I added garden dirt, it wasn't working on the vinyl flooring. I had a large poop board/tray with sweet pdz on it, worked for a bit, but I had Rotator cuff surgery last September... found it easier to rake out wood chips! There always seems to be something that I want to change!

I am going to try and do it without a lot of changes, was thinking a ladder roost since mine are used to being close to the ground in their current coop, the tray is right under the bars. I like the resin for cleaning factors and this one comes with a floor but I plan to put automotive coushioned liner down for them to prevent bumble foot. thinking it would be wise to move the current coop in there until they get used to biger surroundings
Moving their existing coop into the large coop might work, or just move the ladder roost and create a "tent" around it. I haven't had trouble with bumble foot, but my flock doesn't usually hang out in the coop, and their predator proof run is now roughly 30 x 30!

What kind of 'linoleum' and why didn't it work out?
Probably vinyl.....and thin with a paper backing....it cracked where you bent it up the walls???
Yup! It was really cheap, and I did not do a good job gluing it down... It actually didn't crack where it bent at the wall, but only because I didn't force the fold. I think it started to tear where I had the ladder roost fastened to the floor - might have been okay if I hadn't made a hole in it!

Moving their existing coop into the large coop might work, or just move the ladder roost and create a "tent" around it. I haven't had trouble with bumble foot, but my flock doesn't usually hang out in the coop, and their predator proof run is now roughly 30 x 30!
when I peek in on my girls at night they are literally crammed on one side of the coop leaving the other half empty, they spread out during the day but at night they lay on top of each other. I move their coop twice a day and they still lay, but was thinking if I pull the coop they are used to away from them, they might stop laying. so thought this might not stress them out at bad.

What type of shed is that? I want one to store hay in!
7a03930d-9c77-4086-802a-2e54b3a479ca_145.jpg
this is the one I got, it's called stronghold by keter on sale at home depot at the moment it's 10x8 with two windows with shutters and double doors, it is 8 feet deep 10 feet wide

Back
Top Bottom