7 year old suspended from school for shaping breakfast bar into "gun."

I have ADHD, and it often affects most who have it negatively. Everyone at school believes i act too childish to be in highschool. I often fidget and tap my desk, and will make random noises. I hate it and i am constantly made fun of for it. Thats why i finally submitted to taking my stupid pill that calms me.
My daughter has ADHD/AS and she has to take her stupid pills including Zoloft for her anxiety issues, mostly from school and homework. It does calm her but how far we know it would be harmful to schools and kids? My daughter says stuff that is totally off the wall or says things "The school should FIRE my teacher because.........(homework, too much stuff going on in class she has to learn, etc). I told her teachers just don't read into it too much but just pay attention to her actions. If it is severe, pull her aside and call us and we can suspend her from school. So far, she has done well and no suspensions this year since third grade. Boundaries has to be established, no exceptions. If she gets into trouble at school, she would be in trouble at home, which home punishments are a bit more severe than school (washing dishes for a week, cleaning up her room top to bottom, getting clothes washed, dried, folded and put away) and no TV time for a reasonable length of time.

She does wear school wear codes....non printed polo shirts/collared shirts, jeans above the waist, no hip huggers or muffin tops, and shorts ending at an inch from above the knee, no high heels, and no gaudy jewelry or earring hoops. No hats for boys wearing inside school grounds. Our public schools were inforcing the uniform by khaki or navy pants, with either the school colors (blue, yellow, white or green depending on the school) both middle and high schools. There were a few uproars from parents saying it cost too much for clothes but at the end, it does not cost anymore than extra clothes that normal teenagers wears everyday. In fact, it cost me less for these uniformed clothes than normal teenager clothes....see a polo shirt for $12 (cheaper at WallyWorld), navy dress slacks-cotton demin blend (not jeans) $19.95 to 25.99 depending on the stores...buy four to five of each unless you can wear the slacks again the next day if one wants to be a bit fugal. Comparing with outlandish style of clothes teenagers go for $20 to $30 dollars for a shirt, and $50 to 100 for a pair of trendy jeans, times five......it gets expensive!!!! It all depends on area, state and so forth, it plays a part in it.

Where I live school uniforms are compulsory. In the days when i went to school, this meant going to an expensive school outfitters and paying the earth for pleated skirts, blazers and of course the old school tie. The school hats were straw boaters in the summer and velour beribboned jobs in the winter. Then there were items like the lab coat, rugby top, shorts and stockings and cricket whites for the boys, and gymn knickers and lacrosse shorts/top for girls. Happy days, but our parents were bankrupted by the cost of kitting us out!

These days, all chain stores and many supermarkets sell school uniforms and all have fantastic offers on at the beginning of the school year. It is perfectly possible to kit a child out for about £15 which I think is very reasonable compared with non uniform children's/teenagers clothes. I handed down the lab coat from one child to the next even though they went to different schools with different colours. Nobody should ever be required to buy more than one lab coat for their offspring!!

@ewesheep Have you talked to her Dr. about the zoloft? It might have changed, but last I heard zoloft should not be given to any young person. It has horrible side effects on teens. I was given zoloft at 16 before there had been a lot of test on it's effects on teens, and was quickly taken off it when it started giving me audio and visual hallucinations. It made me crazy and horribly depressed to the point I thought of killing myself everyday. Once I was off it, and it left my system everything went back to normal

Last edited:
I think drugs are over prescribed to children and adults, especially drugs used for anxiety. Kids and adults make poor choices when under trhe influence of drugs and sometimes those choices are worse than the initial problem.

I think drugs are over prescribed to children and adults, especially drugs used for anxiety. Kids and adults make poor choices when under trhe influence of drugs and sometimes those choices are worse than the initial problem.
I agree. It's often one of the first things a doctor will recommend, when something else such as counseling may be a better option. It's a fine balance tho, some people including kids really do need these meds. I suppose the medical field is attempting to be risk averse.

We never had ADHD problems when I was young. I bet many people of my generation and older think the same. We always had fidgetty children and those with poor concentration of course. There must have always been dyslexics, slow readers they were called in my day. Must have been youngsters with Asbergers and autism but no one knew so no one was labelled.

In those far off days you were eccentric or highly strung or 'going through that difficult stage.' All of these things were acceptable then, no one worried if you didn't talk to anyone and lived in a world of your own. You were a day dreamer, a thing to be pleased about because day dreamers were inventive and resourceful. They became engineers and explorers, teachers and doctors. Individuality was not frowned upon. You were encouraged to flourish, thrive and grow within your own character and personality. Having said that life was much stricter.

You were taught to be obedient both by parents and teachers. School and home were generally quiet organised places and routine was everything. Education was instruction form the front of the class, and followed a very classical and unchanging pattern. Classrooms were silent or at the most very quiet, and the only visual aids were maps globes and a blackboard.

Children who struggled sat at the other side of the teacher's desk where she could give them extra help but it was never obvious and most thought it a treat to go there. I remember my first day at school, crowding into the classroom and sitting cross legged on the floor in front of the teacher. She stood up and pointed to a map of the world. 'This is Great Britain and every country coloured pink is part of the British Empire.' These were the first words she spoke to us. 'Now', she said, 'We are all going to learn to read'. And we did, at different rates of course, but in a class of 46 five year olds we began to learn the names of the countries of Empire. Visually understimulated perhaps but that probably benefitted the more nervy amongst us. Perhaps they really did know best?

We never had ADHD problems when I was young. I bet many people of my generation and older think the same. We always had fidgetty children and those with poor concentration of course. There must have always been dyslexics, slow readers they were called in my day. Must have been youngsters with Asbergers and autism but no one knew so no one was labelled.

In those far off days you were eccentric or highly strung or 'going through that difficult stage.' All of these things were acceptable then, no one worried if you didn't talk to anyone and lived in a world of your own. You were a day dreamer, a thing to be pleased about because day dreamers were inventive and resourceful. They became engineers and explorers, teachers and doctors. Individuality was not frowned upon. You were encouraged to flourish, thrive and grow within your own character and personality. Having said that life was much stricter.

You were taught to be obedient both by parents and teachers. School and home were generally quiet organised places and routine was everything. Education was instruction form the front of the class, and followed a very classical and unchanging pattern. Classrooms were silent or at the most very quiet, and the only visual aids were maps globes and a blackboard.

Children who struggled sat at the other side of the teacher's desk where she could give them extra help but it was never obvious and most thought it a treat to go there. I remember my first day at school, crowding into the classroom and sitting cross legged on the floor in front of the teacher. She stood up and pointed to a map of the world. 'This is Great Britain and every country coloured pink is part of the British Empire.' These were the first words she spoke to us. 'Now', she said, 'We are all going to learn to read'. And we did, at different rates of course, but in a class of 46 five year olds we began to learn the names of the countries of Empire. Visually understimulated perhaps but that probably benefitted the more nervy amongst us. Perhaps they really did know best?

goodpost.gif
If there had been one that said, "GREAT POST!" I would have used that.

Why do we even give drugs to kids were the side effects can be deadlier then the thing they are meant to fix.

Remember kids drugs are bad, smoking ( if you smoke every day of you life) and drinking (If you drive while drunk or drink way to much) will kill you. so here is your Ritalin ( can cause hyper activity, hallucinations and anxiety on the FIRST TRY) so sit down and shut up.

Exactly, drugs are used I am afraid to replace no or poor parenting skills. Now this may ruffle some feathers but why in the hell do people have kids and then both work full time, shuffle kids off to daycare for the majority of the day, have no nurturing time or very little and then when a kid acts out for attention (ADHD) then whammo they put them on drugs... easy peasy right? I have seen parents with children with ADHD and other disorders quit working and spend the time with thier kids and seen these problems dissapear. The key is taking time out of your busy life for the kids you brought into this world... Or give them to someone who will.

Exactly, drugs are used I am afraid to replace no or poor parenting skills. Now this may ruffle some feathers but why in the hell do people have kids and then both work full time, shuffle kids off to daycare for the majority of the day, have no nurturing time or very little.
then when a kid acts out for attention (ADHD) then whammo they put them on drugs... easy peasy right? I have seen parents with children with ADHD and other disorders quit

working and spend the time with their kids and seen these problems disappear.
Because our culture requires putting work before family

Originally Posted by chickened

The key is taking time out of your busy life for the kids you brought into this world... Or give them to someone who will.

Cant find a video of it family guy had a 1 minute lecture at the end pretty much telling anyone watching, If you find what they do on the cartoon offensive or bad role models then don't watch it. and that you as a parent are supposed to teach your kids right from wrong and if they learn something bad from TV then is not the TV shows fault, they are for primarily entertainment not babysitting.

Back
Top Bottom