8+ Red Golden or Dark Throat Red Golden Hatching eggs

millebantam

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Little Rhody
Up for bid are 8+ Red Golden, or Dark Throat Red Golden pheasant eggs. Both my reds and dark throats are laying well. I can offer either variety or a few of each. Fertility has been checked and these are good to go. This is not a presale and these will ship out Monday. Shipping is 12 bucks to the lower 48 states. As with all shipped hatching eggs, your results may vary, and pheasants can be a little harder to hatch than chickens, but you will be recieving fresh, fertile eggs.

Beautiful Birds! Are they winter hardy (as in NE winters- ice, freezing rain, snow, sub freezing temps for weeks on end?)

Quote:
They are as tough as nails. I live in coastal New England and the winters are wet, cold, and snowy. All of my pens have attached coops, but I have seen my reds perched up high out in the runs during a snowstorm, with an inch of snow on their backs. When they see you coming toward the pens they will shake the snow off and scramble to the door for you to feed them treats. I would have to say that Golden pheasants are even more winter hardy than chickens.

Also, as a sidenote. I'm not sure if it's the particular line of Goldens that I have, but most of mine are exceptionally tame, and most will eat from my hand. I have 3 older males and quite a few hens that will allow me to just bend over and pick them up.

do they have to live in their own pen or can they live with Mandarins, bantam ducks, or chickens?

pop.gif

Quote:
In my experience, the Goldens are the most "social" and least aggressive of the common pheasants kept by most bird people. They are the easiest to keep in a mixed gamebird pen. Males don't show aggression toward each other unless there are females present to squabble about. Some keepers keep groups of males together indefinatley in single pens just for viewing pleasure. I have reds in a mixed aviary with Mandarins and Bobwhite quail with no problems.

Raising any variety of pheasants in close contact with chickens is another story. Over the years, chickens have been domesticated for so long that they have developed immunities to many diseases, and can be carriers without symptoms. Gamebirds generally have not built such immunities, and are very succeptable to certain illnesses. Although kept by themselves, or with other gamebirds, pheasants are very hardy, and easy to keep. It's a good practice to keep gamebirds away from chickens just to avoid the bad JUJU that usually occurs. Some people will claim to have kept pheasants in the same enclosure with chickens for years successfuly. That may be true for some, but it's basically Russian Roulette, and the chances are that sometime down the road, tragedy will eventually result.

I have kept and raised most varieties of the more common species of pheasants over the years, and hands down, the Goldens are my favorites based on beauty and being so easy to keep. They are perfect "beginner" pheasants.

Last edited:
Thanks for so much great info! I just have to hope for another broody gal now if I would try to get these. I've got a Mandie setting now- but has been for a few days already. How long is the Golden/Red Golden dark throat incubation time?

Incubation time is 22-23 days. They can be a little more difficult to hatch in an incubator than chickens, but not much. I usually tell people that don't have confidence in their incubators to use a bantam chicken broody. Broody hens hatch darn near 100% of these pheasants. There is a catch to using a broody though. The little pheasants will bolt as soon as they hatch and will not stay with the broody. It is best to have the broody in some sort of cage to contain them when they hatch. You have to take them from the broody and brood them yourself.

Back
Top Bottom