Yellow x red golden pheasant

Caedan

Chirping
Apr 23, 2021
Hi, I got a pair of yellow golden pheasants recently and the hen was previously with a red golden pheasant male. So I was wondering that if I hatch her eggs and they were fertilized by the red golden rooster, would the chicks be splashed red golden or just red or just yellow? ( if it isnt splash could I sell it as red or yellow, not splash?)

They would all look phenotypically 100% Red Golden, even though they are carrying 1 copy of the genes responsible for the Yellow Golden genotype. The Red Golden genes are dominate and the Yellow Golden genes are recessive. If you took the hens and back bred them to a yellow male, then you would get yellow offspring.
Oh, please don't sell the offspring of that pairing....eventhough, they look Red Golden, they are not and it would just further dilute the pure Red Golden lines.

So the pair is pure yellow, and if I hatched the chicks and one is a yellow does that mean it’s pure yellow?

So the pair is pure yellow, and if I hatched the chicks and one is a yellow does that mean it’s pure yellow?
No, phenotypically it looks like a Yellow Golden, genotypically it will have the Red Golden genes also. This is why it's important not to crossbreed, because you get birds that look 'pure' but they are not, and when sold as 'pure birds' to the unsuspecting buyer, they think they are pure and breed them, and sell the offspring, further diluting other 'pure lines'.

It's fine if you want to 'experiment' with breeding but they should never be sold to the public, for the above mentioned reasons.

No, phenotypically it looks like a Yellow Golden, genotypically it will have the Red Golden genes also. This is why it's important not to crossbreed, because you get birds that look 'pure' but they are not, and when sold as 'pure birds' to the unsuspecting buyer, they think they are pure and breed them, and sell the offspring, further diluting other 'pure lines'.

It's fine if you want to 'experiment' with breeding but they should never be sold to the public, for the above mentioned reasons.
So if I wait a month to hatch the chicks, can I then consider them pure because they have only been fertilized by the pure yellow at that point

So if I wait a month to hatch the chicks, can I then consider them pure because they have only been fertilized by the pure yellow at that point
Not necessarily, you need to breed and hatch several generations before being absolutely sure that they would be pure. There have been cases of peeps with what looked like pure Red Goldens have chicks hatch out that were phenotypically Yellow Goldens....a case where both parent birds were carrying 1 copy each of the Yellow Golden genes. I say several generations, because it may not show up for sometime in future generations.

The pair is pure thou, she was just with a red golden pheasant before I got her

Back
Top Bottom