9 babies... 7 breeds... 1 of 2 genders lol *Lots of PICS*

I definitely will. I always find it so interesting to see how much they change even from week to week. I still can't figure out why the black chick barely has any feathers. Its the same age (allegedly) as the Blue Isbar and she is fully feathered.
hmm.png

It has feathers on the outside of its legs/feet. Regardless we will keep him/her. It's siblings had much larger combs than this one so I'd hate to see what they look like now lol.

Good pic. It looks like a BCM mixed breed to me and I'm thinking cockerel given the size of that odd comb.

I'm going to be delusionally hopeful that it will be a girl. Maybe the weird looking comb is a cushion comb? I put the images together below. From the top it looks massive but you can barely see it from the sides... It's kinda flat. Also for reference and to give me hope, I found a picture of this hen with a cushion comb ... Maybe Oreo will be a she after all

(Website http://originofthedomesticfowl.blogspot.com/2011/06/crest.html?m=1)

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule out female for that chick as you are comparing apples to some unknown fruit that I can't quite figure out how he/she got.

Hybrids develop at their own rate and style...you would only have something accurate to compare with if you had siblings with identical parents that also had similar characteristics (same comb type)...then you could see what the male looked like compared to the female.

Mix breeds are hard as no 2 are alike if there are a lot of genes hidden in the background...sort of like children of the same parents looking so different as all the genes mix and converge.

So watch, wait, and if you ever find out what the parentage is behind that, I'd love to hear.

It doesn't make sense to me that it is FBCM with just one other breed as my understanding is that cushion comb is the result of Walnut + Pea comb....and Walnut has to have at least one Rose and one Pea already present to present as Walnut...

Single must be the absence of BOTH any rose or pea, as they are dominant.

Cushion then would have to represent Rose/Pea and at least Pea...where the other Pea element come from if a pure single were used?

Single comb (FBCM) with a pea comb parent = pea comb

Single comb (FBCM) with a rose comb parent = rose comb

Single comb (FBCM) with a walnut comb parent (Silkie?) = walnut, pea, or rose depending upon the make up of the walnut (*I think*)

So how this bird get a cushion comb descended from a pure BCM as one parent?

Someone help me out on this who has better genetics than I do!

LofMc

http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page2.html#t9
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/633472/cushion-comb-genetics

Last edited:
I'll update some additional pics on the two BO this weekend. While I'm 100 % convinced Gertie is a girl, I keep vascillating on Ginger. They will be 8 weeks old this Saturday. Reason for guessing on Ginger is although his/her comb is slightly larger than the other one, it's not that big of a difference.The noises it makes are a deeper baritone compared to the other one. Maybe those with BO's can chime in on what they think? What did your chicks look like at 8 weeks?

Ginger is not distinct as to male or female. I have had to watch and wait with my BOs. I suspicion male for Ginger, due to quite a bit of feather spiking and a bit larger comb....but some BOs mature early as hens and some hens have hackle spikes.

BOs are notorious late bloomers for roos, and often the males are unisexed looking until maturity.

Watch and wait on Ginger.

I agree with the others, watch that comb on the BCM "mix." It is awfully wide for a pullet at that age, cushion, or rose combed. I have a lot of cushion combs here, as a result of mixing SLW Roo (rose comb) with EE hens (pea combs). I also mixed SLW Roo with white leghorn and ended with the below comb on a pullet. The top dimpled in. All other mixes with the white leghorns resulted in varying styles of rose combs. Never know when those odd genes will pop up in mixes.

L to R, SLW x Leghorn pullet close to laying, SLW x EE, Cushion Comb

SLW x EE Cushion comb Pullet

SLW x EE Cushion Comb Pullet

SLWxLeghorn Cockerel, very flat rose comb shape

SLWxLeghorn Pullet =Very Flat, dimpled at the top

I apologize for all the pictures, I just wanted to give you an idea of what I came up with crossing a straight comb/rose comb and pea comb/rose comb.

Alrighty, here are some picks of Gertie and Ginger again (chick #1 and chick #2 from first post). They are 8 weeks old today. I'll keep posting pics of all the babies every 4 weeks so you can see how they progress and what they turn into
1f601.png

Gertie

Ginger

Gertie's vs. Gingers's wattles

Back
Top Bottom