9 month old pullet still not laying!!

arr36

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
I bought two white star hybrids from a hatchery back in August, supposedly at POL. They were well grown with a bit of wattle growth but the wattles hadn't pinked up yet but I guess they were at least 3-4 months old.

6-7 months later (birds therefore at the very least 9 months old, probably more like 10) we've been getting approx 3 eggs a week for the last 2 months. I'm convinced that only one hen is laying as we've never had two eggs on the same day.

What's the latest that you'd expect a hen to start laying? I know we've had winter but this is ridiculous!! Some of my other girls who hadn't even been laid as an egg yet in August are laying before this lazy hen.

I should say she is definitely female! And apparently perfectly healthy - glossy feathers, bright red comb and wattles, clear eyes etc.

Sometimes it requires some sort of "jump-starting" to get a new pullet to lay. Try providing supplemental light in the coop. A sixty watt light is plenty adequate. Hook it to a timer to come on two hours before sunrise.

This has worked for me in the past to get stubborn pullets out of the chute. Do this until she been laying for a week. I'm pretty confident this can solve your problem.

Back
Top Bottom