911, duck snatched by coyote

Tinabuglaw

Songster
Sep 16, 2021
911, I saw a coyote snatch my duck. It's a jumbo pekin. I screamed and chased him with my arms waving hoping that he would get scared and drop her. Apparently he did and she's having a hard time breathing and she has a few puncture wounds. I'm thinking there might be one in her lung. Is there any suggestions for what I should do?

Attachments

• 20231007_130316.jpg
    20231007_130316.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20231007_124849.jpg
    20231007_124849.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231007_124719.jpg
    20231007_124719.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 15
I copied and pasted this from an @azygous post, t says chickens but i think its the same for ducks

Here is my protocol on treating an injured chicken. Print it out and keep it with your chicken first aid supplies.

TREATING CHICKEN WOUNDS
1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.

2. Flush the wound well with saline. This is better than soap and water as it maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound.

3. Inspect the wound carefully. If it has a skin flap dangling, keep that. Do not cut it off. Look for bite, tear or puncture marks indicating a puncture wound. If you see this, the patient will need an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin. Bacteria from the predator’s mouth can be injected deep into tissue and can kill in as little as 24 to 48 hours. You can order this https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/250mg once a day for ten days. Or you may be able to find this or something similar at TSC or a pet store.

4. Spray with Vetericyn wound treament and let dry. Use a topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or a generic without pain killer in it to coat the wound. If there's a skin flap, lay it across the wound that has just been coated with the ointment. Then smooth on a generous amount over the top of the skin flap to hold it in place.

5. It's useless to try to stitch a wound on a chicken. Don't even try. It's also useless to try to bandage a wound other than on the feet. The chicken will not tolerate it. It will be pulled off faster than you can blink an eye.

6. Clean the wound every day following the above steps. Keep the wound covered with the ointment. Never allow the wound to get dried out or it will not heal.
DO NOT LET THE WOUND DRY OUT
or it could get infected and all healing will stop.

If you see any skin flaps, they can be cleaned along with the wound and laid over the divot to act as a skin graft, cutting down healing from six weeks to just two.

Last edited:
Oh no I’m very sorry to hear about your duck @Tinabuglaw

Excellent post there from @Jenbirdee for initial care. That puncture looks quite large and deep could you get your duck to a vet?
Yeah the vets don't really know anything about ducks. I was there with a goose in my goats the other day and they don't know how to do ultrasounds they don't know how to do basic house care I ended up having to do my own. So I have no faith that they'll be able to take care of my duck. And then they charge me hundreds of dollars on top of it.

So sorry to see this. I would clean the wound and put neosporin on it but if it is a hole in its lung I doubt if it will make it. I am so sorry.
I'm going to try she's drinking water and she's not breathing as heavily now she may have just been freaking out from the experience. I bandaged her up and I put Neosporin ointment in her wounds with cotton balls. Along with that colorful gauze. But she's hanging her head down low I wish you would just lay down

Attachments

• 16967038426926803794188215795201.jpg
    16967038426926803794188215795201.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 14
Yeah the vets don't really know anything about ducks. I was there with a goose in my goats the other day and they don't know how to do ultrasounds they don't know how to do basic house care I ended up having to do my own. So I have no faith that they'll be able to take care of my duck. And then they charge me hundreds of dollars on top of it.
I understand fully and about the charging!
I'm going to try she's drinking water and she's not breathing as heavily now she may have just been freaking out from the experience. I bandaged her up and I put Neosporin ointment in her wounds with cotton balls. Along with that colorful gauze. But she's hanging her head down low I wish you would just lay down
I hope she gets through this, I’m sure she’s feeling battered and bruised along with the wounds. It’s been a harrowing experience so hopefully when the shock has passed she gets on the road to recovery. Good luck with her :fl

I had a Call Duck that had a prolapse a few weeks ago. I saw a video on how a vet amputated the end of the penis that had turned into gangrene. It was from several years ago and the cost was $750.00 way back then. I thought to myself, if I don't do it he will die and if I do I might save him. I did it and he is just fine and running around like nothing ever happened to him. Sometimes we become homemade vets and I am thankful for YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom