A Barbezieux Thread.

Pics
I don't believe that Barbezieux are considered "heritage" since they are a fairly recent breed...? I could be wrong. They are most assuredly one of the best tasting birds I've ever eaten!

The meat was lean, and the flavor was incredible. Imagine a very "chickeny" heritage bird and then a smooth buttery quality.

Considering how they taste, muscle and fat content, etc, do you think some Barbezieux Capons would be worth trying?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone will respomd. I got 2 barbezieux cockerels from a Greenfire rare breed mix of chicks. I now have a chance to get 2 Black Faced Spanish hens. These are supposedLy related to Minorca. Would it make sense to mix the breeds? I'm not sure I even want to keep the roos. I figure it would be a lot easier to sell them with a hen they can breed as well. Thoughts?

Dang, this thread seems to have little to no life left in it just as my barbezieux eggs are about to hatch..

It is a drag that not many people seem interested. I love my Barbezieux. I posted above about some hens I decided to get to breed with the Barbezieux. They look exactly like the Barbezieux. The person who sold them to me told me they were Spanish White-Faced chickens, which they are NOT. They may be Minorca, which are indistinguishable from Barbezieux in terms of their phenotype as far as I can tell. In any case, I've been breeding them for a couple months now and their chicks are large and vigorous. I'm so pleased. People who see them LOVE them--the roosters are so elegant. I hatch in small batches, but I have not had a hard time selling the chicks. Of course I don't charge much, at least not yet. :)

I'm a first time owner of the breed and I just had my first hatch come out of the incubator :):) Started my research on the feeding of the breed as I'm really interested in making these a fantastic true the breed meat bird . I have a few other rare breed meat birds ( La Fleche / Crevecours ) They all get free range ofcourse + organic crumbles but man it's those grain / cereal mix I'm looking for to feed all them with .
Really glad I found this thread ! 24527.jpeg

I am also glad this thread has revived; I have a clutch under a broody, due to hatch next week... bought the eggs from a woman on the English/Welsh border, like Macgro7 as I now find (post 112), perhaps the same breeder... :fl

I am also glad this thread has revived; I have a clutch under a broody, due to hatch next week... bought the eggs from a woman on the English/Welsh border, like Macgro7 as I now find (post 112), perhaps the same breeder... :fl

Can't wait to see pics !!! Hope you have a great hatch :)

four made it to hatch, and have spent the last two lovely warm days exploring the garden with mam; they look like little penguins! Apparently the fluffy white and grey bits get replaced with all black when the feathers come in - pity!
DSC00305.JPG

@BreezyBre how are your little barbies doing? Have you noticed anything to indicate gender of chicks yet? There are two patterns of wing development on mine, but that may be irrelevant (they'll be 3 weeks old tomorrow). I can find very little info online for this breed (understandably, as they are so rare). Have you spotted anything indicative of gender at this stage?

Back
Top Bottom