A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
Quote:
They usually will stay if properly persuaded with good eats. Good eats and a brood frame is even better.

Down my way good eats is usually all you ever need.

...JP

Went to my first bee keepers class last Tuesday! Came home with lots of magazines and catalogs. We cant wait. We are learning so much from the local experts around here. They are wonderful. I hope to start a hive sometime this spring, when classes are over and I know A LOT more than I do now!!!!

I just got my first bees last weekend... I've got them in a top bar hive and it's SO cool! I find them absolutely fascinating they way they are building comb like crazy... However I find I'm kind of scared of them at the same time. I've got Italians so I know they're probably pretty mellow... And I'm fine with being near them and watching them in the hive, but I'm having a really hard time opening the hive right now to get the queen cage back out. They're all in a huge mass in that area and every time I pull the bars up next to the cage out they come and it freaks me out!

To all you beekeepers: How did you get over the fear of working with your bees? Do I just need to suck it up or are there any tips/tricks to getting started
smile.png

Quote:
Congratulations on getting your bees! You may find that they are as additive as chickens. We started with 1 hive 4 years ago and now have 11 with plans for even more.

Are you using a smoker and protective veil? If not, you should until you are comfortable working without them. While I don't always use a veil, I do always use smoke to calm the bees.

I just took a beekeeper course at the begining of April. It was great!!! I'll be starting bees next year. It was/is very difficult to get bees here as there were alot of deaths due to our crappy winter. I really want to start with 4 hives and I need Nucs for them. I don't really want to start with packages. I will be ordering supplies to start organizing my area over the course of the summer. I already have a great location, 4 nucs reserved! I decided to start with the chickens first this year as it would be a little easier to deal with time wise. I am super excited about the entire project. NOTHING beats the taste of "real" honey!

Best of luck to all of you
smile.png

I am using a veil and gloves, I'm not using a smoker. Instead I'm using sugar spray. I was also told that water mixed with apple cider vinegar and a couple drops of spearmint essential oil works well. I believe it was 1 part water, 4 parts vinegar but I'd have to look again
smile.png

Quote:
Jett, the most important tool you can have is a smoker. Use it and stay out of trouble, don't and you will regret it one day. I work with bees about ten months of the year and I always have my smoker handy and lit.

You may get by working a smallish hive and swarms without smoke but by far the best way to placate your bees so you may have an enjoyable experience is to give them a few puffs here and there.

The main thing smoking does is mask their ability to utilize alarm pheromone against you. It is a scent reminiscent of bananas.

Best of luck and much fun with your bees!

...JP

I'm getting bees at last!
I met my swarm on sunday but I have to wait till my Dad comes to visit so he can deliver them (with a hand-me-down bee suit too!) so I have 2 weeks to prep.
Dad caught them late last year and it was a small swarm so he wasn't sure they would survive the winter...but they did, so now I get them! They only occupy about 1/3 of a super right now, but they seem healthy and am sure they will love my yard full of fruits and veggies and flowers. So exciting! All I have to find is gloves and I will be set
smile.png

Quote:
Jett, the most important tool you can have is a smoker. Use it and stay out of trouble, don't and you will regret it one day. I work with bees about ten months of the year and I always have my smoker handy and lit.

You may get by working a smallish hive and swarms without smoke but by far the best way to placate your bees so you may have an enjoyable experience is to give them a few puffs here and there.

The main thing smoking does is mask their ability to utilize alarm pheromone against you. It is a scent reminiscent of bananas.

Best of luck and much fun with your bees!

...JP

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom