A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

I started bee keeping this year and would suggest: Homegrown honey bees by Alethea Morrison. Also on release try the marshmallow plug for the queen cage, and spray the bees down with a lot of suger syrup, and feed them year round the first year!

The first year that I did it I did not feed them year round, I fed them until they had the frames built out and then they took off and I got 32 pints of honey that year out of 2 hives

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to beekeeping. I was glad to see this thread, haven't had time to read it all yet but thought I'd pass on some info.

The most helpful source I've found is mainebee.com go to beearticles then scroll half way down the page until you see couple different years with months of year. Think like 1998-2005. A guy named George Imerie wrote those articles. He was a master beekeeper who worked on the atom bomb before ww2. They have like 50 of his articles on there hes really easy to understand. I learned alot from him. Check out the July 2004 article it's got some good info for winter prep. I live in PA and I believe he was in MD so the dates he gives are pretty close to what I use. It's a great read and I'd highly recommend it if you have some down time. Also if you're intrigued there's more at http://pinkpages.chrisbacherconsulting.com

Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom