A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

well try to take those frames from the bees and put them in a place where you can extract later.

Hey guys...

Do to this Summer's Nectar Dearth here in NC.
I experienced hard core Robbing attacks a few months ago destroying one of my hives and wounding the other.

The one hive which was destroyed and had lost it queen too , which lead to Chill brood and collapse, had all the workers quit and move over to the stronger hive right next to it. They could not get in the door because they where alien bees. So they gathered Under the stronger hive and became seduced by the Queen's Pheromones.

After removing the comb. I waited an hour for them to come back. I then put a box under the hive and scooped them into a box. I then dumped the box into the top of the hive...

The remaining frames had the start of moth damage and super small moth larva. I then took 10 of the best fully drawn and packed frames from the collapsed hive and froze each of them for 2 days. I then put them into a 3rd deep super and added it to the stronger hive with a queen separator on top of that, and 2 medium supers to be drawn for my honey, with a Deep super with an internal feeder on top.

Two weeks later my "Mega Hive" shows the 3rd super's moth damaged frames cleaned repaired and filled with uncapped honey on every frame. The 2nd deep super down is seen in the 2 videos below. and the bottom was also as strong as the 2nd Super.

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.samouce/videos/vb.100000326622548/995015727185972/?type=2&theater

The two mediums up top are both half drawn....

Looks like my hive is on the mend...

Next I am going to add an upper door:
To make it, I just knocked the center board out of an inner cover...
I filed it down A Section under the door so I could staple in two 3 Inch long pieces of a wooden paint stirrer for a landing pad. Then I painted it...

Nice! They look healthy now.
We have three brood boxes and two supers... we need to take some honey, I know it is late, but we have had overcast and rain all summer.
We got stung up the last time we did an inspection. So we decided to wait for a nice summer day. That didn't happen.

We were thinking of taking the fullest super tomorrow. I do not want them to swarm for lack of room. The brood chambers are full which is nice.
Do you think taking honey this late in the year might be a mistake?

I think I have a poor quality queen, I should of bought a new queen! I fed the bees, gave them pollen sub, and right now is a major honey flow( at least for the feral bees) there harvesting a lot of pollen and nectar, but I don't think it's a real honey flow for them, I can count how many are coming out of the hive. Checked the hive the other day they still haven't filled out all ten frames...... I don't know if there going to survive the winter, I got my bees from beeweaver

When did you re-queen? We fed for over a year and only had the brood boxes on. Remember they have to use energy to make wax and draw out the comb.
Not having a lot of warm bodies will be a problem.You may want to invest in a top quilt for winter if you get snow. I have seen people put bales of hay around their hives to insulate them over winter. and feed them. We are in Florida and they had plenty to go out and forage, but You have to figure that there will be fewer foragers bringing it in compared to the brood needing food in the beginning. We took a full brood frame from the strong hive, brushed off the workers and gave it to the newer hive to boost their worker population.
The two year old hive is going strong and the one year old split is getting there.

Back
Top Bottom