A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Awesome, but I will say this my husband doesn't come up with all the ideas and he always say s it's impossible then I start the project and he jumps right in. Lol . Is more fun and a lot easier with good help.

We just came back from checking the two swarm boxes on top of the abandoned trailer. SUCCESS! !!! We definitely cought them . We opened the one hive that has been there a week and they filled one and a half frame full of brood. We will bring that one home tonight. The second one which has been there three days all ready has a swarm in it to. SO COOL. We will wait till there's brood in it before we bring it home. I'm so happy. Now we will have 4 hives total. Trapping them is the way to go if u ask me. We ride over in our club cart the 2 mils with wine in hand and watch them in the afternoons. It's funny . My husband was so against this adventure and now he is absolutely obsessed. Lol here's a picture before we opened the cought hive
ya.gif

:/I think I posted a while back that my bees didn't make it through the winter. I think it was my fault, as I left the sugar water feeder in there, and the hive developed mold. It's been chaotic around here, so the farthest I've gotten is to remove the top from the hive, and today I took out the feeder. For a few days bees have been nosing around the hive and seem to be beginning to treat it as theirs. So I'd appreciate your thoughts on how to proceed in what little time I have for them. I'm thinking to don a suit and smoker and take it apart: two boxes. I see honey near the spoiled comb in the top box and am not sure how to go about figuring this out. With the top off I fear an invasion of robbers but don't know how to pull off rescuing what's left. One person told me to just leave it, the bees would clean it up. IDK. Then there's the question of whether there's a queen or queen cells. I'm not far along enough to yet to figure that out. How should I proceed?

Are there enough bees that you need a suit and smoker? If they didn't make it through winter, then there is no queen or queen cells.
Just take it all apart to see what you have and what's going on.

Last edited:
Bugseye have u tried sweeping out those Bee's and catching a new swarm?
with all that established comb it would be easier.

We've had rainy and cold temps here too, so have not seen any bees at all since I put out my baited hive....no honeybees on any of the flowers at all. Hoping this warmer weather moving in this week~still rainy, though~will bring the bees back to my meadow. The honeysuckle is starting to bloom and the blackberry vines are covered over with blossom. Clover is in full swing...but still no honeybees. Earlier in the spring they were everywhere....think the rain and cold has kept them closer to their home?

Well it's official I'm not posting any more bee pictures on Facebook. We have been bombarded with friends calling COME GET THESE BEE'S . So far we have cought 5 hives for us and one for my brother in law. All doing fantastic. Mother nature is so cool. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. We officially cought three swarm's from that trailer and did 2 cut outs. Catching them is the way to go for us. I got all the deep boxes in today so we can start staking them on top as they grow. It's not a cheap hobby though.

I'm calling that trailer the honey hole lol.
we may catch more from there I just want to recuperate a little money before we continue.

Back
Top Bottom