A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Well it's official I'm not posting any more bee pictures on Facebook. We have been bombarded with friends calling COME GET THESE BEE'S . So far we have cought 5 hives for us and one for my brother in law. All doing fantastic. Mother nature is so cool. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. We officially cought three swarm's from that trailer and did 2 cut outs. Catching them is the way to go for us. I got all the deep boxes in today so we can start staking them on top as they grow. It's not a cheap hobby though.

I think that idea is catching on....I love that DirtRooster guy on YT and all the captures he videos. It's an excellent way to build up a nice apiary of free bees, that's for sure.

I wish I could catch hives. There are too many that do it in this area and not enough swarms in peoples out buildings or old trailers. Didn't have time to follow the honey bees around here before the new bees arrived. Wanted to try and find a wild hive on the old farm here. Was wiped out last year by three bear in a three day non stop bombardment. I'd stack up what was left and go out an hour later to find everything demolished again. Ugh.

Cool there is a beekeeping thread here. Just spent a long day finishing up the bee bunker. Had a make shift wrap of welded wire and electric around it for few days that held up nicely. Checked first morning and found a bear had come and only went at them twice before the 6K volts deterred it. Have a charger that will put out 8K or more coming later this week. 6K volts just isn't enough. Need them to run away on the first shock not decide it's too much trouble after two attempts. The three nuc's for this year should be safe. Happy about that. Figure I can fit another five or so next year If I prove the bear can be tamed. Eventually will be a full apiary with only poly rope in back field. This is nestled behind the metal scrap pile top side of orchard and surrounded by raspberry.

Hot day, painting that was not so easy, had to suit up for the second coat in front of hives as they were very active and getting a bit pushy. The door opening will have a door. There's a heavy old women's bathroom door sitting to the side I've yet to install. Just wrapped a length of polywire in W fashion over door way electric gate. So yeah, leveling, putting on the top braces, two coats of paint and properly installing the old welded wire and electric took from 9 AM to 7 PM. It was HOT and I'm spent.

So we are moving into a neighborhood that has a ton of gardens. We don't have a lot of land, and I would not want it to be conspicuous, but is there a way to harness the local bee population for some small amounts of honey? We don't need to keep 8 supers full or anything, and don't want to make it too obvious we are trying to have bees on our property. Low maintenance would be optimal too.

So we are moving into a neighborhood that has a ton of gardens. We don't have a lot of land, and I would not want it to be conspicuous, but is there a way to harness the local bee population for some small amounts of honey? We don't need to keep 8 supers full or anything, and don't want to make it too obvious we are trying to have bees on our property. Low maintenance would be optimal too.
You could try a top bar hive. We talked to our neighbors before getting bees and no one had any issue with it though we are in the country a bit.

If you have the woodworking tools to do the job - go for it. There are good dimension parts information available.

Getting a hive established in August will have to be fed all winter and into the spring because they won't have time to get stores brought in. Syrup till it gets cold and then a candy board and pollen patty.
Most places don't have enough of the right types of flowers in late summer and fall.

If you have the woodworking tools to do the job - go for it. There are good dimension parts information available.

Getting a hive established in August will have to be fed all winter and into the spring because they won't have time to get stores brought in. Syrup till it gets cold and then a candy board and pollen patty.
Most places don't have enough of the right types of flowers in late summer and fall.
I agree completely. Hard to keep a hive alive all winter with that late of a start.

Back
Top Bottom