A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

I agree. I wish there were some way we could mimic their natural homes more closely. The top bar hive is as close as I've seen but I think if we could do a top bar in a column/vertical hive it might be even more closely there. Sort of like the Warre hive, I guess. But not so cumbersome to move the combs around....would be nice to do a Warre in a filing cabinet. Been thinking a lot about that and how I could adapt a filing cabinet into a top bar hive that one could just pull the drawers out to reach the comb.

I agree.  I wish there were some way we could mimic their natural homes more closely.  The top bar hive is as close as I've seen but I think if we could do a top bar in a column/vertical hive it might be even more closely there.  Sort of like the Warre hive, I guess.  But not so cumbersome to move the combs around....would be nice to do a Warre in a filing cabinet.  Been thinking a lot about that and how I could adapt a filing cabinet into a top bar hive that one could just pull the drawers out to reach the comb. 

So with the Warren the hive starts out in the top super, and migrates down, filling with honey as they move the brood into the lower new combs, right?

Too bad there is not a vertical sliding rail system with some kind of upward pressure so you didn't have to manually lift the lower supers to put the newly empty harvested supers on the bottom. If there were I'm sure it would be pricey.

Just commenting to introduce myself/subscribe.

3rd year beek with 2 hives in New England.
frow.gif

lol.png

I agree. I wish there were some way we could mimic their natural homes more closely. The top bar hive is as close as I've seen but I think if we could do a top bar in a column/vertical hive it might be even more closely there. Sort of like the Warre hive, I guess. But not so cumbersome to move the combs around....would be nice to do a Warre in a filing cabinet. Been thinking a lot about that and how I could adapt a filing cabinet into a top bar hive that one could just pull the drawers out to reach the comb.
DSC06625_zpsfasx4rw3.jpg

Well I checked yesterday to see if the queen had been released. I had waited for a little too long I think, about 8 days, because I really wanted to make sure she was out. When I opened the hive, I was greeted with good news and bad news. The good news is she was out. There were still a couple worker bees in there eating the candy, so I took it out and put it on the ground. The bad news, they had built more comb than I ever imagined was possible in a week. It was everywhere. They had built it against the top bars, in the other direction. Luckily, I was able to get it all out of the hive. They were pretty angry, though. I waxed the first 5 bars in the hive to encourage them building with the bar instead of against it. I also removed their feeder since it was blocking part of the area.

Back
Top Bottom