A BEE thread....for those interested in beekeeping.

Pics
So what is the advantage between a top bar hive and the other kind of hive but without the foundation? I am not using full foundation sheets in the hive I just put together so the bees will be building their own comb in my hive as well.

Quote:
I want to make sure I have plenty of bees around to pollinate my trees and garden. I also would like to get some honey, though that is secondary for me. I plan on doing it for a long time, but I have a lot to learn to make that happen.

Quote:
Less heavy lifting an cheaper is the two that I can think of. I think its more about how you plan to use the bees. If ya want wax then top bars are a bit simpler in the long run but if you want the most honey you can get an not after the wax then the box type is better.

From all that I've read, the top bar hives are thought to be more sanitary(especially if having a screened bottom) and the structure of comb being only attached to the bars prevents some parasites. Also have read that the smaller cell structure resulting from bees making their own comb prevents varroa mites from reaching maturity before the bee larvae do so, thus reducing the number of varroa mites in the hive. Also easier to have observation windows in this type of hive.

Users of TBHs also like the ease of examing the bees, the ease of removing and replacing bars as opposed to frames (lifting boxes off of each other to get to certain ones), less lifting of heavy equipment, less storage needed for equipment not in use, less equipment purchases needed, cheaper and easier DIY hive structures, etc.

Hey good morning all, fellow beek here as well. I just found out about this thread. Some of you may have seen some of my threads about bees such as "step into my world".

I specialize in honeybee removal and relocation in all sorts of structures and trees. If I kept all the hives and swarms I ever removed it would be over a thousand.

I have run as many as 55, currently have 37 and am looking to build my numbers maybe to 70 or so this season.

I run langs but have two TBHs I will be adding swarms to this season.

This is one of my three beeyards and I just acquired a fourth!
44496_cimg2694.jpg

Caught my first swarm of 2010 just the other day, think it was Thursday.

Have a great day & if I can be of help to anyone just ask!

...JP

Quote:
I've done it twice before. Both times I was still military and got transferred. No way to take the hives with me. The first time I killed the bees and kept the equipment. The whole process made me feel awful, like I'd done something terrible, so the next time I sold them. I haven't tried it since then, but I actually own this farm and am not ever being deployed anywhere ever again, so I am thinking maybe it is time again. But I need to update myself first. Mites were not nearly the problem they are now and nobody had ever heard of colony collapse. I have a lot to read up on.

As to why, well, I am fascinated by them--how they work, how they organize themselves--there is just such a beautiful symmetry to a healthy hive! Heck I don't even eat honey (I'm a diabetic)! I am just amazed by them.

Rusty

Quote:
1. Pollinate my orchard and garden. We have some different species of local bees, my neighbor has a few hives, but none of them seem terribly interested in veggies, cut flowers, or fruit trees. I planted herbs (thyme, basil, fennel, marjoram, mint etc.) in between the beds of veggies, I planted blueberries and other bee-friendly berry bushes all around the orchard, the only time I spray is dormant oil in winter on the trees and neem extract in the spring on the roses. I put down beer traps for the slugs, never pesticides, and we have a swimming pool for them to drink out of--I'll put a birdbath out in the garden before I open the pool this year. Failing that, there's a creek about 50 feet from my orchard with running water and little frog pools they can sip from. But my stupid garden, without fail, blooms well enough to produce ten tons of veggies and fruit, and I only ever get, like, three peaches/tree if I don't go around with a paintbrush. It's not a nutrient problem, because when I do go around with a paintbrush, I'm drowning in veggies and fruit. We're still eating winter squash from the vines I hand-pollinated in July.

2. Honey would be nice. We use maple syrup in a lot of things rather than honey, but I like honey--especially goat chevre soaked in honey, smeared on fresh-baked bread. This year wasn't so good for maple syrup; last year I got something like 1/2 gallon per tap after it was boiled down, this year I only got half that, so would be nice to make up the difference in honey, in future bad years. I know I'm not going to get much, if any, this year. I do use a lot of beeswax: candles, firelighters for the wood stove, waxing cheeses, sealing mushroom spawn into tree stumps, cosmetics (mixed with oil for lip balm, mixed with emulsifier & aloe gel for lotion).

Bees are nice critters too, of course. I like them more for what they do than who they are, you know? They are not exactly loyal, cuddly, thoughtful or trainable, but they perform valuable services in a fairly efficient way and don't require a whole lot of attention from me--just food, water, the occasional miticide treatment, for the most part. Best of all, no vet bills!

Great thread!
I took a beekeeping class & lab in college and was absolutely giddy the whole time! Bees are so fascinating.
I'm looking forward to getting started with some hives soon. Love that creamed honey... mmmmm.

I handled my first frame of bees on Saturday, it was awesome. I wasn't even wearing all the gear, but I'll be getting it soon. That Top Bar does look interesting, but I'm getting the Langstroth type. Thank you JP helping me get started!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom