A Bielefelder Thread !

A cream legbar should have a much more muted color. I believe, although they will have similar markings the Bielies are red based and the cream legbars are silver based (I may be totally wrong, I am terrible with genetics). See links below for green fire farms cream legbar and bielefelder examples:

http://greenfirefarms.com/chicken/cream-legbars/

http://greenfirefarms.com/chicken/bielefelder/

It was mentioned at some point that there is a silver based type of Bielefelder in existence.

I had researched that the normal color is Cuckoo Red Partridge, but that there is a more rare Silver variety. Some of my hens have a lot more silvery appearance in their hackles (their color looks like the Cream Legbar hens), while others have the more golden colors, so I have wondered if I have some that are carrying the silver genetics.

My egg color also varies enormously, with some of the hens laying light colored eggs (I haven't been able to separate them to see if the silver hackled hens lay the light eggs). And when my chicks hatched, the one from the light colored shell was a very dark gray instead of brown. Would this indicate silver genetics?

Last edited:
I had researched that the normal color is Cuckoo Red Partridge, but that there is a more rare Silver variety. Some of my hens have a lot more silvery appearance in their hackles (their color looks like the Cream Legbar hens), while others have the more golden colors, so I have wondered if I have some that are carrying the silver genetics.

My egg color also varies enormously, with some of the hens laying light colored eggs (I haven't been able to separate them to see if the silver hackled hens lay the light eggs). And when my chicks hatched, the one from the light colored shell was a very dark gray instead of brown. Would this indicate silver genetics?

My cockerels also display a mix of more silvery color vs more golden. So far my hens don't show any real distinction in color from one another...only the cockerels.

Here's another question....Has anyone noticed extra nubs on their cockerel's combs? Only one of my cockerels has a seemingly perfect, straight comb. All of the others have at least one extra "nub" sticking out to one side or another or both towards the back of the comb.

^ Hey Desert Chic. I've got both imports and they both have these extra nubs your talking about.

A part of me says, "Phew! I'm glad it's not just me!" and another part of me says, "Uh oh! Is this a defect that needs to be worked on?"

It would be so helpful if there were an American SOP for this breed.
he.gif
roll.png
fl.gif

I would love to start a Bielefelder club we could call it the BCA Bielefelder club of America and work together on this breed toward reaching the German Standard and possibly getting it recognized by the APA. I have 9 hens and 5 lay a slightly darker egg than the other 4 and have a very slight color difference. Also I have had 3 Cocks and there have been some slight color differences and it has been the silver and red. Would love to have a club to meet and compare birds and even get some German judges in to judge some local shows to better the Breed quality we have here in the USA.

Last edited:
Crested Cream Legbars should NOT look anything like Bielefelders. I have both breeds and are not the same colors, not the same body type they are totally different looking birds and should not ever be confused for the other. Granted the vast majority of CCL you see are the wrong color, but still they don't look a like.

The nubs are you talking about sprigs? those are a DQ across the board in all breeds of chickens.

Ok so how to breed the sprigs on the combs out. I have males and females some clean combed and some with sprigs. Do I cull or not breed the ones with sprigs? I really need help on this. Mine aren't laying for a couple months yet. But would like to work on this.

Ok so how to breed the sprigs on the combs out. I have males and females some clean combed and some with sprigs. Do I cull or not breed the ones with sprigs? I really need help on this. Mine aren't laying for a couple months yet. But would like to work on this.

It will spread like crazy if you breed them. Best bet is to cull from your breeding program any birds that have sprigs.

Back
Top Bottom