A Bielefelder Thread !

Are those Goji Berries in the 2nd picture down from the top? Nice looking Biels
They are Datil Peppers... very hot Minorcan peppers from St Augustine Florida. My chickens love hot peppers and the leaves of pepper plants. That is why none of my pepper plants have any leaves! They don't have taste buds so it doesn't matter to them how hot things are. These Bielefelders are from Feels Right Farm. All of her stock is from Greenfire Farms. I am surprised you had a bad experience with them. All my CLs are from them too.

Last edited:
They are Datil Peppers... very hot Minorcan peppers from St Augustine Florida. My chickens love hot peppers and the leaves of pepper plants. That is why none of my pepper plants have any leaves! They don't have taste buds so it doesn't matter to them how hot things are. These Bielefelders are from Feels Right Farm. All of her stock is from Greenfire Farms. I am surprised you had a bad experience with them. All my CLs are from them too.
Are your Biels almost a year old? Mine didn't show these traits till they were nearing 1yr

Do all your CLB lay blue eggs? Most people I've spoken with have CLB's that lay greenish-blue (really green) or green. (If the stars and moon are all lined up just so, a green egg can look greenish-blue if you know what I mean.) Never have I seen such a blue egg by CLB's that looks like the bold color blue so often pictured on the internet. People must alter the pic.

I know others have had the same issues as I have with GFF, so........

Never knew chickens had no taste buds. Why do they seem to prefer some food over other food. Because of the color? Do the hot peppers affect their bum?

Are your Biels almost a year old? Mine didn't show these traits till they were nearing 1yr

Do all your CLB lay blue eggs? Most people I've spoken with have CLB's that lay greenish-blue (really green) or green. (If the stars and moon are all lined up just so, a green egg can look greenish-blue if you know what I mean.) Never have I seen such a blue egg by CLB's that looks like the bold color blue so often pictured on the internet. People must alter the pic.

I know others have had the same issues as I have with GFF, so........
I have a CCL & an EE that lay sky blue eggs like you see online. It starts out sky blue & then quickly fades to a lighter blue as the laying season progresses. Most of my other EEs lay shades of green-blue or green. I never realized how lucky I was to get the egg assortment I got. A friend of a friend decided to get out of showing/breeding chickens when he started breeding pigeons. (called them rollers & showed all over the country as a hobby) Anyway, his purebred Amerucanas, Leghorns, Rocks, Brahmas, etc. got put into a big mixed layer flock. Those birds were the source of my classroom eggs, which later became my first chickens. The blue egg gene is dominant, so if I breed any of my EE hens, green eggs always show up.

The CCL eggs I bought from a breeder in NC. It was a few years ago, but I'm sure hers probably came orig from GFF. Their eggs were actually blue but so were several of my EEs' eggs at the time. I decided to keep only one CCL & sold the rest. I couldn't see why they were so expensive when my "free" EEs had the same shell color. I will probably always have an EE in my flock. I find them comical & each has a unique personality. On the downside, they don't really lay in the cold months, so no colored eggs Nov-Jan. Meanwhile I fell in love with the bigger breeds like Orps & Bieles.

So what do you get when you mix an EE with a lav orp? An Easter-Orp!

She just laid her 1st egg the other day. (very unexpected since it's -5'F right now.) It was rather large for a pullet egg & extra GREEN. I expect she'll be laying Jumbos in a month or two. LOL

When taking egg pics, I try to use natural sunlight. It helps bring out the colors & prevents the flash from washing out the shell color.

Below was taken inside with a flash & the eggs look very pale

Just for fun: Below is an egg from my son's hen. (just a mutt) She's 3 1/2 yrs & still going strong.

Never knew chickens had no taste buds. Why do they seem to prefer some food over other food. Because of the color? Do the hot peppers affect their bum?
Chickens have almost no taste buds…..humans have over 10,000 taste buds, while chickens have 20-30 taste buds. None of my chickens have ever complained about your last question!
lau.gif
I don't know. I have a pepper plant called a bird pepper.,,, in the top ten of hottest peppers. They are small peppers, birds eat them and spread them. Believe me they are hot! Hotter than Habanero. Maybe their preferences are based on texture or maybe those thirty taste buds can pick up on certain flavors. I do remember reading that when we think we are giving them something wonderful they really can't taste it.

Last edited:
I couldn't see why they were so expensive when my "free" EEs had the same shell color. I will probably always have an EE in my flock. I find them comical & each has a unique personality. On the downside, they don't really lay in the cold months, so no colored eggs Nov-Jan. Meanwhile I fell in love with the bigger breeds like Orps & Bieles.

So what do you get when you mix an EE with a lav orp? An Easter-Orp!

She just laid her 1st egg the other day. (very unexpected since it's -5'F right now.) It was rather large for a pullet egg & extra GREEN. I expect she'll be laying Jumbos in a month or two. LOL
Pretty little girl!

newbie to egg incubator and bielefelders both.

I live in the southeastern corner of the texas panhandle about 8 miles from the Oklahoma border.

just started 12 biele eggs late last night in a 48 egg incubator with an auto turner.

anybody nearby?

newbie to egg incubator and bielefelders both.

I live in the southeastern corner of the texas panhandle about 8 miles from the Oklahoma border.

just started 12 biele eggs late last night in a 48 egg incubator with an auto turner.

anybody nearby?
Can't help you with incubation but you are going to love your B-la-felders! Welcome
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom